Overclocking a W3690 on X8SAX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfeldt

Jul 19, 2015
Hi everyone, I have a W3690 and a Supermicro X8SAX with the most recent BIOS, and the BIOS allows me to set ratios and turbo ratios higher than stock, but they don't seem to take any effect when I check via various tools in Windows.

Is this CPU ratio locked? If not, are there tips to overclock this on a X8SAX by only changing the ratios? I am not interested in the typical BCLK methods.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
Is this a retail CPU? I'm asking because in the other thread, a QS version of an otherwise overclockable CPU don't has an unlocked multiplier.

Also, please have a look at the CPU-Z screenshots from there: CPU Frequency overclocking records @ HWBOT
Here you can see that they use x35 and x37, which indicates an unlocked multiplier. Maybe Supermicro has disabled these overclocking options in the BIOS.

jfeldt

Jul 19, 2015
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it is a retail CPU, I bought it new in the retail box with hestsink etc from Amazon about six years ago. I am suspecting it may be the motherboard that is limiting me, but am hoping there may be some combination of settings that works.