PDU monitored 36 port L5-20

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Hello Everyone

I'm trying to find a 30 - 36 port monitored pdu, with L5-20 connectors. 20A, 120v. I can't find anything over 24 ports.
Anyone know any pdus that I am trying to find, please let me know.

Also, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but this is the closest match I could find.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have never seen anything like that. I have seen folks use C19's to add additional PDU's.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Thanks Jeffro
Those are not monitored. The DC told me they can't daisy chain the pdus. There are alot of 24 outlet pdus, but that won't support that many servers.

Then I would have to pay for an additional circuit.

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
Sorry! I am used to APC, where even there "metered" versions have monitoring. I guess that's another good reason to not use Tripp Lite :)

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
I looked and could not find anything higher then 24 ports in APC . If you find anything higher then 24 ports, please send it my way. The 120v, 20amp.

Thanks

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
Only ones I know of are going to be 240v.

I am confused by your statement of:
"There are alot of 24 outlet pdus, but that won't support that many servers"

Do all of your machines use dual power supplies and you want to plug each power cable from each power supply into the outlets rather than using a y-splitter for them?

Maybe they super low power usage?

120v @ 20A, you're only going to get 16A MAX usable anyway.

What does your setup look like that you think you would run out of outlets before using up the 16A @ 120v?

Reactions: adnan

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Well I asked if I could use a Y cable to split the circuit and they said it wouldn't be safe. Didn't think about the Y for the server plugs. that would surely work. I have a few single power and a few gas guzzlers. I'm going to swap the cpus to L55XX on those node machines.

As for the setup, it's a full rack, the 1/2 one we currently have is almost full. I will need more circuits in the near future, with the smaller rack we didn't have to worry about the pdu.

THANKS

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh boy :-O
A full rack in my books needs 2 x pairs of 220v 32amp single phase, that's to power ~20 servers.
Sounds likes your power is very overloaded, I trip of one power source would probably bring a trip of the other.

Reactions: T_Minus

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Oh boy :-O
A full rack in my books needs 2 x pairs of 220v 32amp single phase, that's to power ~20 servers.
Sounds likes your power is very overloaded, I trip of one power source would probably bring a trip of the other.
It probably does. I have a full rack, but not a full rack of servers. No sense in paying for 2 circuits which won't be used. We can add power as I put more and more servers on it. Right now I've got like 6 servers to start with.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
If you're going to add power later (via additional circuits or swap to 208v or 240v 3phase) you'll need more/different PDUs at that time. I can't think of any scenario where you'll need 36 outlets with only 120v/20amp. As has been mentioned, you can only load it to 80% for sustained use, which is 16 amps.

Let's say your average server draw 200 watts, which is very low IMO. 200 watts / 120v = 1.666amps. 16/1.666 = 9.6 such servers. So...10 outlets...

Reactions: Evan

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Well I asked if I could use a Y cable to split the circuit and they said it wouldn't be safe.
Um, FWIW Dell has factory shipped Y-cord style cables for PowerEdge servers. They are heavy duty and bulky but they shouldn't have issues with it. I've used them before in colo scenarios and no one ever complained.

Metered: Tripplite PDUMV20-72 (1.9kW Single Phase Metered PDU 120V Outlets 36 5 15 20R L5 20P 5 20P adapter 0U Vertical 72 in (PDUMV20-72) | Tripp Lite).

Monitored: Chatsworth P3-1C0B5 (Monitored Vertical eConnect PDU)

The reason they aren't very common is most people on average are not running a rack full of pizza box servers using an average of say around 50w/unit. Often when larger providers are doing something along those lines, it's more common to move to a larger slotted chassis ie HPE's Moonshot setup for density.

Reactions: adnan

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Um, FWIW Dell has factory shipped Y-cord style cables for PowerEdge servers. They are heavy duty and bulky but they shouldn't have issues with it. I've used them before in colo scenarios and no one ever complained.

Metered: Tripplite PDUMV20-72 (1.9kW Single Phase Metered PDU 120V Outlets 36 5 15 20R L5 20P 5 20P adapter 0U Vertical 72 in (PDUMV20-72) | Tripp Lite).

Monitored: Chatsworth P3-1C0B5 (Monitored Vertical eConnect PDU)

The reason they aren't very common is most people on average are not running a rack full of pizza box servers using an average of say around 50w/unit. Often when larger providers are doing something along those lines, it's more common to move to a larger slotted chassis ie HPE's Moonshot setup for density.
The factory power cord should do the trick. I saw a few on Ebay. Thanks.

I picked up an AP7930 for the PDU. I think it was around $175 in mint condition, arrives tomorrow. 36 port was overkill, I think 28 port would have worked, I did find a Tripp Lite, but didn;t have monitoring, but now I got a switched pdu.