Vehicle Projects - Race Cars -- Share yours!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@JSchuricht nice!! I want to find me a late model (last year or one before) F250 4DR 4x4 w/7.3... I made the mistake of buying the 6.0 new in 04... awesome truck but by the time I sold it I had around $8k in repairs... including a broken front axle + all the 6.0 problems!! Or maybe next year or after that get the newer ones with 1000 FT/lb stock LOL!!

jammer45

Jun 16, 2017
Nice thread! I got no race vehicle but this my fav ride so far. 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT
I have always been a truck and bike guy, not until this beauty was offered by a previous neighbor who was moving and can't take her with them. She's been sitting for almost two years but immediately fires up. I do not plan to race her but excited to do some mods. The current tires got to go so new Toyo tires are on the way, next will be the wheels and brake upgrade.

Attachments

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I race Superkarts and have done so for 20 years. Pretty much the most dangerous thing there is to race on earth, even more so than a bike.
No seatbelt, no rollbars, no suspension... Love it :)

Attachments

Nugget

Jul 13, 2017
Tejas Hill Country
keybase.io
I picked this one up in 2009 and have put tens of thousands of track miles on it since. Had the engine rebuilt as a 3.9L last summer by Sharkwerks. It looks amazing from 20 feet away and looks like total crap if you get up close. My plan is to drive it until the wheels fall off.

23290565779_05000db924_z.jpg
9254971441_967344f3a5_z.jpg
BOFH39.jpg

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
My '35 GMC Maple Leaf project truck. Original sheet metal fitted to a '99 S10 Blazer 4x4 chassis. Cab is chopped 3" and lowered 3". This photo is from last August; it has since been fitted with rear fenders from a '29 and the grill is in.

Reactions: Evan and T_Minus

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
My project/race car. 1986 Buick Regal T-Type. 3.8L V6 Turbo. It is no where near stock. Top picture is when it was running 11.7's. Haven't run it in a few years since it was rebuilt with a bigger turbo.
P5180018.JPG IMG_3778_zpsifytybw0.jpg

My daily driver 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 (Auto, Brembo's, Tune, CIA, axle back exhaust). Fun car to drive. Still slower than my grandma car above. Fun Fact, a shipping box for a 4u case fits just in the trunk.
dvxYDXc.jpg

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Followup on my '35: the grill @ 95% done.
Did you have to make a die and bend that half circle arch or was it light enough material to do by hand?
Looks awesome!
I see that material used commonly in desert racers to protect radiator! Been thinking about ordering some up myself and adding a (flat) protection area in front of radiator.

Reactions: Dawg10

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
Did you have to make a die and bend that half circle arch or was it light enough material to do by hand?
Looks awesome!
I see that material used commonly in desert racers to protect radiator! Been thinking about ordering some up myself and adding a (flat) protection area in front of radiator.
Thank you. I'm still learning but have a metalman guru I invite to dinner a lot...

I started by making the stationary outer frame; it's a flip front end so the frame fitment is/was critical. Once clearances were established and the mount fixed, I took a sheet of 1/4" holes and tacked it in all around. Then took a circle of 1/8"x1" flat bar and templated/pounded it in from the backside; once the max stretch was reached I cut out the circle and tacked in the flat bar. A second piece of 1/8"x1" flat bar was added to cover the welds and was trimmed flush to the first. The circular fan cover and it's salt shaker center w. maple leaf is a separate piece and removable.

Undecided whether to powder coat black or clear. Or both.

The material is light enough to work with hand tools; I used a wooden mallet and sand bag, although I have a wheel and planishing hammer gathering dust.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
It's been a while since I have been on servethehome due to this exact reason. So I have been selling off excess hardware to pick this beautiful beast. 88mm turbo should be in the 2 weeks and voila 800 whp. She is fugly but man can she move and it super cheap. I will probably swap the whole drivetrain into a chevy canyon when everything is dialed it. Dropping 1500 pounds at that hp range will be very fun!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: cactus

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
It's been a while since I have been on servethehome due to this exact reason. So I have been selling off excess hardware to pick this beautiful beast. 88mm turbo should be in the 2 weeks and voila 800 whp. She is fugly but man can she move and it super cheap. I will probably swap the whole drivetrain into a chevy canyon when everything is dialed it. Dropping 1500 pounds at that hp range will be very fun!

Just got the turbo kit in, it's a work in progress. Will post pictures when it's all together. Hurt my neck at work yesterday feeling a bit better but not sure I will be able to do much with the truck til it's 100%. Oh yeah not to mention high of 110°f today [emoji30]

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah this weather has been HOT last couple days, and nights :(