Voiltaire 4036 noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
My Voltaire 4036 infiniband switch came in and when I set it up I was surprised at how loud it was. Loud enough to be heard in every room in the house, louder than the Dell C6100 it was sitting next to.

Fan speeds do drop down after the initial boot but still seem loud. Nothing like my HP Ethernet switches or even the Silverstorm DDR infiniband switch I was using before.

The manual states the fans will run fast if a problem is detected. Just wondering if others switches are loud or mine may have an issue.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wondering, what is the power consumption like?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That's not bad to cool in a 1U form factor actually. If it was 200+ w that's different.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
It is better than I thought it was going to be :)

The Silverstor DDR that I had before was 1U but it is literally twice the depth.. much quieter.

oliver8888

May 1, 2013
The manual states the fans will run fast if a problem is detected. Just wondering if others switches are loud or mine may have an issue.
Yes, mine are loud. my Voltaire 9024D-M's would run passively with the fans pulled--and these ones are a fair bit warmer unfortunately. Even with their tops removed they overheat if attempted to be completely passive (despite the numbers reported to be critical thresholds elsewhere, and manual saying they can run passively).

I plan to eventually rack mine, uncase the tops of them, and have a secondary 120mm fan just blowing some air across them. Its not the most elegant setup, but it beats 6 ridicilously loud fans running in my otherwise near-silent lab.

wuffers

Dec 24, 2012
Yes these guys are loud. I was quite surprised at first as well when I was testing them in the lab. I think they are rated at 65 dba or somesuch.

Ours are now racked in the server room with all the other stuff. I can't hear anyone shouting for me if I'm working in the server room. :)