PSA: massive fraud listings on eBay started this morning....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I've been searching for some new video cards and all of a sudden I'm getting flood of alerts on too good to be true deals on video cards this morning. Several accounts, new and old, so might have been a breach of ebay creds, don't know for sure...

examples:
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce Graphic Card (GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD) New

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X OC EDITION | eBay

*BRAND NEW* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 11GBps GDDR5X Graphics Card PCI-X 3.0

mylitlelady | eBay

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, ICX Technology - 9 Thermal | eBay

there are a lot more... video cards, game consoles, etc etc...

careful out there...

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've been searching for some new video cards and all of a sudden I'm getting flood of alerts on too good to be true deals on video cards this morning. Several accounts, new and old, so might have been a breach of ebay creds, don't know for sure...

examples:

mylitlelady | eBay

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, ICX Technology - 9 Thermal | eBay

careful out there...
Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Don't see why there needs to be a post warning about this kind of crap. A little bit of homework on your seller before clicking the BUY button is all it takes to weed these scams out.

Warning, during your lifetime people will try to take advantage of you and scam you. Danger, woo woo woo

Reactions: Churchill

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Also don't see the need for people to complain about someone sharing what they've found. Good deals or warnings, same game. Doesn't cost anyone who doesn't care more than 5 seconds of their life to skip to the next post and move on...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

superfula

Mar 8, 2016
Please stop posting potential frauds.
Don't see why there needs to be a post warning about this kind of crap. A little bit of homework on your seller before clicking the BUY button is all it takes to weed these scams out.

Warning, during your lifetime people will try to take advantage of you and scam you. Danger, woo woo woo
When did it become a bad thing to help others?

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
This type of thing is nothing new. It seems some group out there decides to put together an ebay scam campaign and you get the flood. Some were better than others. The current wave seems to be some months old and you'll see them almost everywhere (last time I spotted them was in enterprise SSD's). In the last 3 months or so I've had 6 purchases (had to check my ebay history) refunded to me after the seller dropped off the face of the earth. Now I didn't include a few attempts I made to get something that seemed too good to be true, I figured that chances were it was a scam but I've had a few pan out so if it's inexpensive it's worth a shot.

but it seems that a few times a year some group starts flooding ebay with fraud listings. I've seen this for many years
Heads up - Massive number of scam listings on Ebay - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

The latest twist isn't scam sellers but scam buyers. I've run into one of these scum myself.

Ebay accused of failing its sellers as fraudulent buyers manipulate the system

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016

examples:

mylitlelady | eBay

careful out there...
Ty for the warning!
Now I understand the email I received from eBay regarding Potential Fraudulent activity on my account. I changed my password immediately and so far so good.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I wonder how often a crooked seller and a crooked buyer butt heads on eBay. :p

RattyRattyTwitchie

Jul 26, 2017
I just purchased a 1050 Ti and a 1070 for $26 and $46, respectively. Paypal always has my back so I'm willing to see what happens.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Great, this way you can learn about the meaning of 'too good to be true' and maybe next time you will understand its better to be safe and miss out on that one potential AMAZING deal in order to not get scammed on all the others.

RattyRattyTwitchie

Jul 26, 2017
Great, this way you can learn about the meaning of 'too good to be true' and maybe next time you will understand its better to be safe and miss out on that one potential AMAZING deal in order to not get scammed on all the others.
Well, I've been through thick and thin with Chinese sellers over the years, and Paypal has ALWAYS come through for me with its buyer protection, even in a dispute I had with a Chinese freight forwarder on Alibaba.

The seller has already marked the items as shipped but without any tracking numbers, so I've sent him eBay messages asking for them to keep a trail.

I also noticed that the seller originally dealt in Harley Davidson stuff meaning he's probably American and white, but the Paypal invoice gave me a very Chinese e-mail address. So I sent Paypal a heads-up message just in case as well.

I'm 99% sure it's a scam at this point, but we'll see what happens. I have full confidence in Paypal, so I'm not as worried as you'd like me to be.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Money is not the thing I'd be worried about losing, time is a lot more valuable.

RattyRattyTwitchie

Jul 26, 2017
Money is not the thing I'd be worried about losing, time is a lot more valuable.
Whatever, man. I guess you've never had a $200 receiver hand delivered to you for $20 or given away decent stuff to other people for free because everything's a scam. Dunno why you'd ever go to eBay if all you ever want is to save 5 bucks instead of 50 or 500.

=============================================================

Anyway, an update: things are moving faster than expected. eBay noticed the suspicious activity, removed the listings, and emailed me about both items. I can't dispute the transactions yet, but I don't know whether that's because they've already been flagged by eBay and Paypal or what. Will wait and see.