LiteOn 1.92TB SSD $450

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Just in case someone decides to grab that: be sure to update the firmware! These had some dataloss-inducing firmware bugs a while back..

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
That right. The question that always bother me with branded ssd's is : How will it work on non-dell branded controller, like LSI or other.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Usually work fine, mostly it seems the branding is more about strings to detect that it's OEM original and sometimes some small changes but have not heard of many issues.
Even then when we talk about custom firmware I am sure Dell/hp/Lenovo are lot more standard compared to emc/netapp/etc

I usually am happy enough with slightly older drives just to throw it in a server and do a final firmware update before using in white box and forget about ever updating it.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
My opinion is: unless the price is crazy lower (which isn't mostly the case) just stick with non branded drives. You can always upgrade firmware from manufacturer official site and use on any controller without worries about compatibility.(like not seeing smart-info or other issues).

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
In this particular case: AFAIK the firmware must be updated with the Dell Nautilus software (barf). Not sure if it works on non-Dell boxes, but it definitely requires an UEFI machine to run.