Blah

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
why should we help you make money? there is another alternative you didnt consider. but ill leave it up to you to earn your coin.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@tdkmatt - the reason you are finding CPU mining ROI very difficult is that it is.

Remember, if you have a botnet, or a data center with excess power and CPU cycles, a desktop PC in a place with free power, you can mine at essentially "0 cost".

That is one of the major reasons we have seen difficulty continue to increase with flat to (much) lower prices Monero Difficulty Chart and Difficulty History Chart - CoinWarz

Also, the newer chips have some architectural improvements that are helping mining. You may want to look at the 12/ 16 core EPYCs but new hardware pricing is hard to compete with from a ROI perspective for mining.

Very different economics with CPU v. GPU.

spfoo

May 23, 2017
Hey All
Has anyone had any thoughts on such a deployment?
Yes, but I do very unorthodox builds. Lots of computing power for peanuts though.

But to start a discussion on your topic I'd suggest you share some data and analysis you have done over various CPU/power/cost/cooling etc. combos. Then it would look more like you are looking to actually participate and share rather than trying to get free tech consulting...

Reactions: 11Blade and tdkmatt

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
It's too late to be building dedicated miner rigs, too expensive and the returns are low.

The only thing worthwhile now is using hardware you already have that are free from any other use and if you have cheap power.

tdkmatt

Jul 12, 2017
Perth, Australia
It's too late to be building dedicated miner rigs, too expensive and the returns are low.

The only thing worthwhile now is using hardware you already have that are free from any other use and if you have cheap power.
Its not too late, it is if you are a home miner but on a larger scale its worth wild and as long as you keep adding to your hashing power to keep ahead of the curve you are fine. Many other GPU Coins to mine but everyone is trying to mine ETH until it goes to PoS

Capital investment into hardware is less of a risk then using the same amount to buy into any coins, Example the other day when the street ran red putting the same amount into coins you instantly lost upto 40% of your investment. Price does fluctuate but the risk of any one of these coins failing is still there..

GPU Miners can also be re-purposed, - Re sale of the rigs / Cards is always there, leasing out compute for medical research, Deep AI learning, Rendering etc....

spfoo

May 23, 2017
Its not too late, it is if you are a home miner but on a larger scale its worth wild and as long as you keep adding to your hashing power to keep ahead of the curve you are fine. Many other GPU Coins to mine but everyone is trying to mine ETH until it goes to PoS

Capital investment into hardware is less of a risk then using the same amount to buy into any coins, Example the other day when the street ran red putting the same amount into coins you instantly lost upto 40% of your investment. Price does fluctuate but the risk of any one of these coins failing is still there..

GPU Miners can also be re-purposed, - Re sale of the rigs / Cards is always there, leasing out compute for medical research, Deep AI learning, Rendering etc....
Good points. Personally I prefer AMD CPUs. You get more bang for the buck, but in most cases a little more power consumption than on Intel. Retail value may drop faster than on Intel as well. But I've also spent time tuning the mining software. There's a lot of room for improvement in that part. And I mean a lot. I don't know why people just take something like Wolf's low-quality cowboy code and use it out-of-the-box. I have better results h/s -wise on all my hardware than I've seen posted anywhere so far. And I'm not done optimizing yet.

I've also toyed with the idea of building up a serious hash ripper. About 2000 cores - 48kh/s solution with a total cost of under 20k USD. I'll talk more on that if I ever get started on it.

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
But I've also spent time tuning the mining software. There's a lot of room for improvement in that part. And I mean a lot. I don't know why people just take something like Wolf's low-quality cowboy code and use it out-of-the-box. I have better results h/s -wise on all my hardware than I've seen posted anywhere so far. And I'm not done optimizing yet.

I've also toyed with the idea of building up a serious hash ripper. About 2000 cores - 48kh/s solution with a total cost of under 20k USD. I'll talk more on that if I ever get started on it.
Are you talking about mining software optimizations compared to xmr stak miner? Are you able to get better results with your mining software than with latest version xmr stak cpu miner?

spfoo

May 23, 2017
Are you talking about mining software optimizations compared to xmr stak miner? Are you able to get better results with your mining software than with latest version xmr stak cpu miner?
I haven't used it yet - been too busy building and tuning :) I tweaked cpu-miner. Will test stak and get back with results. Any stats on it's performance available?

Edit.
For reference from the Monero mining performance thread. Those results are with Wolf's. I do better (985-990 H/s) than this Intel from 2014 with 2x several years older AMD CPU's:
2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 = 969H/s

Oh and I just noticed from Intel's website that my TDP is actually a little lower...not to mention my cooling cost is minimal.

Edit 2.
I found Claymore numbers for similar hw. Claymore gets 1% more than I do. So some work to do still :)

Last edited:

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Will test stak and get back with results. Any stats on it's performance available?
need to know what CPUs you've used

For reference from the Monero mining performance thread. Those results are with Wolf's. I do better (985-990 H/s) than this Intel from 2014 with 2x several years older AMD CPU's:
2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 = 969H/s
Seems pretty low result.
my 2x e5 2670v1 pushes 970-975H on xmr stak with 20 threads
results in monero mining perfomance thread are not always actual

P.S.: I just assumed that you able to get better results with your optimised miner than with xmr stak

spfoo

May 23, 2017
need to know what CPUs you've used

Seems pretty low result.
my 2x e5 2670v1 pushes 970-975H on xmr stak with 20 threads
results in monero mining perfomance thread are not always actual

P.S.: I just assumed that you able to get better results with your optimised miner than with xmr stak
Very interesting. From the xm-stak site I see people reporting 830h/s and 880h/s for a dual 2670v1. What non-documented and non-standard tricks are you doing to achieve the higher results?

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Very interesting. From the xm-stak site I see people reporting 830h/s and 880h/s for a dual 2670v1. What non-documented and non-standard tricks are you doing to achieve the higher results?
Nothing special I just setup quantity of threads by rule: L3 cache/2=total quantity of threads.
FYI: ~850H it's result for dul e5 2660
So what your hardware?

lukas.l.alexander

Aug 18, 2017
Matt,

If you are indeed willing to at least look into the Xeon Phi option - and are also interested in Monero - then please let me know. My Phi miner gets significantly higher monero rates than reported by Patrick (~2800 H/s for a 7210, as to Patricks wolfminer numbers at ~610 H/s).

This factor of 4.5 in performnace is sure to change your profitability numbers ... in fact, at that rate it's quite profitable to mine on a Phi.

- luk

Hey All

I have built in the past Australia's largest X11 Mining Farm for Dash, And we are now building a Eth mining farm in Perth Australia with a large data center, Our initial deployment is 50 GPU Mining Rigs, 40 Scrypt L3+ Mining Rigs.

- I wanted to look into the feasibility of building and scaling a CPU Mining farm along with our GPU Farm. - Before anyone asks we have secured set pricing that no one else in Australia has access to for power.

After looking at @Patrick thread the only way i can see to go large scale would be to use Gen9 HP Blade servers but when i run the numbers ROI unreachable.... Same with buying a $3,000+ Server with only X2 2600 Xeons... The only other way i could think of would be to use Xeon Phi but they are very hard to come across.

Has anyone had any thoughts on such a deployment?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Matt,

If you are indeed willing to at least look into the Xeon Phi option - and are also interested in Monero - then please let me know. My Phi miner gets significantly higher monero rates than reported by Patrick (~2800 H/s for a 7210, as to Patricks wolfminer numbers at ~610 H/s).

This factor of 4.5 in performnace is sure to change your profitability numbers ... in fact, at that rate it's quite profitable to mine on a Phi.

- luk

Where are you sourcing xeon PHI 7210's They look quite pricey.

Reactions: nfsden