Thoughts on videos on STH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was thinking about starting to take some videos to post in articles. Maybe do both how to install hardware and how to configure software articles. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

Possible first article: How to build a server using a Supermicro X9SCM-F (I just got one to review on Friday so expect a review either late this week or the following).

Thanks for any ideas/ input!

Reactions: Hank C and William

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
If you are going to show hardware assembly, will you be able to get someone to hold the camera while you do it? Most of the videos I have seen, where the person who is doing the hands-on work is also juggling the camera, are not very good. Sometimes a stationary camera can work, but the best are when there is a separate camera person who can pan and zoom as needed.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Probably would use the new Canon T2i (site photos *should* start looking a bit better soon) on a tripod. I could also probably use the camcorder on another tripod for a second angle. Just managed to get lighting somewhat worked out this weekend for stills. Hope that translates into video also.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Personally, i find videos to be somewhat annoying, just because when its a how to a lot videographers feel that they need to talk the whole time, when really all people want is a step by step guide on how to do xyz.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I agree nitrobass24. My thought would be relatively short video segments to augment text on page. May be a bad idea though.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Apologies for reviving a long dead thread, I could have easily started a new one but maybe it's better to breath some life into this.

Patrick, please treat this as constructive criticism, these are just my thoughts and I am just an grumpy old Brit.

While I can appreciate the draw of video reviews for a younger audience, for me they are a great source of annoyance. I'd much prefer written content. In my (limited opinion) this has numerous benefits:
  1. I can quickly find sections of interest
  2. It can be consumed without headphones and without annoying those around me.
  3. I can search it.
  4. Sections can be quickly re-read.
if I was 8 and had the attention span of a gnat I'd be "on" YouTube and wouldn't be at a "grown up" site in the first place.

I beg you please don't go down the route of video only articles/reviews. The recent "AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable Architecture Ultimate Deep Dive" is a case in point.

Obviously this may be only my view and if so I apologise again, no offence whatsoever intended.

Paul

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I happen to agree. I'd much rather read 20,000 words than watch a 20 minute + video.
I like both worlds... I enjoyed being able to wander around with my wireless headphones and listen to the deepdive, but also like being able to skim to the bits I am looking for in deep dives, the information I don't already know.

My suggestion would be... videos are great if you have a script and stick to it.
Be succinct and place links in the description for the various points you cover so people can hop to the parts they want to see.

I can help with sound if you need it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Apologies for reviving a long dead thread, I could have easily started a new one but maybe it's better to breath some life into this.

Patrick, please treat this as constructive criticism, these are just my thoughts and I am just an grumpy old Brit.

While I can appreciate the draw of video reviews for a younger audience, for me they are a great source of annoyance. I'd much prefer written content. In my (limited opinion) this has numerous benefits:
  1. I can quickly find sections of interest
  2. It can be consumed without headphones and without annoying those around me.
  3. I can search it.
  4. Sections can be quickly re-read.
if I was 8 and had the attention span of a gnat I'd be "on" YouTube and wouldn't be at a "grown up" site in the first place.

I beg you please don't go down the route of video only articles/reviews. The recent "AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable Architecture Ultimate Deep Dive" is a case in point.

Obviously this may be only my view and if so I apologise again, no offence whatsoever intended.

Paul
Very well said! I agree.
\

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have headphones on most of the day, so listening to something like the deep dive lets me get the gist while not having to take full focus time to read the article. For that reason, using an in-depth, detail rich article as a script for a video also is not great in my opinion. For detail, I want something I can reread/search. To me, the ideal is a video synopsis/abridged version of an article that lets me know if I want to put the time into reading the whole thing. This isn't great for the editorial side because it is going to increase the work time per story substantially.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I like both worlds... I enjoyed being able to wander around with my wireless headphones and listen to the deepdive, but also like being able to skim to the bits I am looking for in deep dives, the information I don't already know.

My suggestion would be... videos are great if you have a script and stick to it.
Be succinct and place links in the description for the various points you cover so people can hop to the parts they want to see.

I can help with sound if you need it.
If STH can offer more or less the same information in both audio/visual and text then yes that’d be the best of both worlds. Next stop: a podcast.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
If STH can offer more or less the same information in both audio/visual and text then yes that’d be the best of both worlds. Next stop: a podcast.
PCPer's pod cast is a good example. I listen to that, sometimes shake my head then they don't know what they are talking about, skip the parts I have no interest in, and read an article for the stuff I am.

Reactions: gigatexal

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I don't do videos ... The exception being training videos with perhaps some slide decks, diagrams or flowcharts, and perhaps a capture of console work.

Podcasts are okay, because I can listen while I do other things. But videos require too much uninterrupted and individed attention for my personal consumption habits.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great feedback guys. Just wondering @Drewy did you find something in the video was was not in our EPYC and Skylake architecture deep dive? I saw it much as a subset of the information we had in the longer pieces.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Patrick,

To answer your question I would have had to watch the video.
So I assumed it went into more detail, maybe incorrectly.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick,

To answer your question I would have had to watch the video.
So I assumed it went into more detail, maybe incorrectly.
I think there is much more architecture information in the EPYC and Skylake-SP launch pages. Just made a video to help some of the other STH audience understand the basics. That is why I was a bit confused.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Probably a bad example. Sounds as though I've noticed a few videos lately and possibly jumped to the wrong conclusion.