Network switch recommendation for business poe must

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I currently got the Dell 6248 stacked in three pack. They do not have poe so I need to upgrade. Can anyone recommend me some good switches that I can get I need min 96 ports, would be nice to stack them and also 1-2 10GBE uplinks. I was looking at Cisco 3850 but a bit out of my price range right now.

Reason for upgrade, going to VOIP system and need POE switches. The Dell 6248 still serve me great right now to be honest, but the down side no POE and I really need that for the new phones.

Thank you

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
If they are doing the job maybe consider A rackmount Poe injector for them. Would allow you to keep your current switches and still use Poe on those ports that need it

Reactions: alex1002

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I have been looking for some, but cant find any. And they seem super expensive the ones I found.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
How about two HP Aruba 2920 POE+ 48 port with 10G module in the back (copper or SFP+) or the newer HP Aruba 2930 with SFP+ built in and stacking via direct attach cable? With passive POE injectors you have a big power supply mess and no way to measure actual power budgets, let alone diagnose faults without an (un-)plugging fest. Phones will also probably support LLDP-MED to auto-detect their voice vlan.

Reactions: Antonio

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have been looking for some, but cant find any. And they seem super expensive the ones I found.
Powerdsine PD-9024G on eBay.

A few comments if you're going to buy these:
  • The front panel is easily damaged. Unless the seller takes extra care in packaging, it will arrive broken, even if in the factory packaging.
  • Be sure you get the rack ears - they are pretty much impossible to obtain separately.
  • Part numbers with M have Ethernet management. Without M is unmanaged.
  • Part numbers with F are full power (36W on all 24 ports). Without F is a smaller power supply. It is very rare for everything connected to want full power.
  • Part numbers with ACDC support DC input and failover. With AC only is just AC power.
  • If you get a managed switch, PM me for the latest firmware. Older firmware has a bunch of bugs.
If you mount one of these above a 48-port (2 rows of 24 ports) switch you can use short cables to connect the top row of switch ports to the bottom row of PD-9024G ports. Here's a picture showing that for the first group of 6 ports:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Since you said business and not enterprise you could consider Netgear S3300's.
They are available with 48 ports (+4 uplinks) and stack up to 6 of them. You might need an additional psu each depending on your power budget.

Not a really cheap option though.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Using unifi's 10g l2 series here, especially since last firmware no issues any more.
They're currently working on a stacking feature, which should go alpha pretty soon

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
They're currently working on a stacking feature, which should go alpha pretty soon
I'd wait for it to show up in production firmware before buying. Over in the Ubiquiti forums, a UBNT employee said "For some strategy reasons, the stacking firmware is suspended in this release. the program might be resume in future release."

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Anyone recommend anything from Microtik or Unifi?
These two options are cheap, but they are better suited for home office or small business network.
Mikrotik RouterOS is very unstable, notably on dynamic routing scenarios. While Uniquiti offers an amazing price for their wire speed switching, especially Unifi switches.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
How about two HP Aruba 2920 POE+ 48 port with 10G module in the back (copper or SFP+) or the newer HP Aruba 2930 with SFP+ built in and stacking via direct attach cable? With passive POE injectors you have a big power supply mess and no way to measure actual power budgets, let alone diagnose faults without an (un-)plugging fest. Phones will also probably support LLDP-MED to auto-detect their voice vlan.
How difficult is the CLI for these switches, is there GUI?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Super easy cli - it has a web interface aswell though if you need it.. i’d grab the 2930F though.. new gen to the 2920 and rund virtual stacking via the 4sfp+ ports available. Max number of units is 8 in a stack i think

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
S3300's can stack. Also found out the Cisco SG350X's are really nice, but not sure what your price point is...

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Actual budget? If you are ok with used/refurbished gear I would recommend Cisco 3850's from a used reseller like curvature www.curvature,com (formerly network hardware resale).
Everything they sell comes with a lifetime warranty. They also offer enhanced service contracts exactly like Cisco smartnet if you need things like 4hr replacement.

Don't mean to sound like a shill, but for enterprise grade gear in an enterprise you can't go wrong with Cisco, and save a lot of money in the grey-market

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Super easy cli - it has a web interface aswell though if you need it.. i’d grab the 2930F though.. new gen to the 2920 and rund virtual stacking via the 4sfp+ ports available. Max number of units is 8 in a stack i think
I am being told the 2930F stacking can only handle 10gbe/20gbe stacking. I need the 2930M to get real stacking. Which adds to the price lots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
S3300's can stack. Also found out the Cisco SG350X's are really nice, but not sure what your price point is...
On the sg350x do you get the cisco iOS. Because it doesn't seem like "Enterprise" level switch more small business. Also how does stacking work. Does it use the 10gbe SFP+ ports.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk