WTB: 600GB 10k 2.5" drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
**Dead, thanks guys!**

Hello folks. I'm in the market for about 6 or 8 2.5" 600GB SAS drives. I am not tied to brand either.

I recently purchased 8x Hitachi 600GB with netapp firmware(for $25ea :-( never going to find that deal again lol), but I was unsuccessful in making them work on my Dell or SM systems(drives won't show in OS in order to flash firmware, etc., I dont think this is a format only issue, but a firmware issue). I'd be willing to trade/sell them if anyone had interest.

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Drives with Netapp block sizing need to be attached directly to HBAs, they don't show in raid controllers until after they're reformatted to the more standard block size.

In some older raid controllers the devices show as "Unconfigured unusable" and in later ones just don't show at all.

Also, they're not going to show in something like the disk management snap-in under Windows, you need to use something like sg_scan to verify their presence. These also definitely need to be connected to a SAS controller and not just a SATA one like ICH10R.

An H200/H310 in IT mode would work fine for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybertron

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
In the event that you do not get them working to your satisfaction, I have a NetApp in my lab, and could use them, if you're just looking to recoup your costs. Shipping to Canada though. PM me if you go that route...

But I am also curious if you have issues getting them going. I haven't had issues with NetApp _SATA_ disks going onto a Dell or IBM (LSI based) RAID controller, but I think that's because they use every 9th block for metadata, and not 520 vs 512k sector sizing.

Reactions: Cybertron

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Thanks guys. Frogtech, you are spot on... I assumed because the controller can't "access" it, that the OS would never see it. I loaded up a linux bootable USB, ran the sg commands and pretso, worked like a charm. Now to do the rest of them. :) Closing this thread though, I'm good now.

Reactions: frogtech