pfSense Packages - What do you use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been using a vanilla pfsense install with minimal configuration changes, and now with my circuit upgraded I'm looking to get a bit more granular in terms of utilization graphs, caching and other security type add-ons.

What are you using in pfsense and how do you like it? Tips/Tricks?

I'm considering:
- Squid + reporting package to view hits/misses/ip usage/etc
- Snort
- Anti-Virus (ClamAV or ?)
- Something to analyze bandwidth / where it's going. Ideally would like to see a graph similar to how vmware does utilization for CPU so you can view 'entire usage %' and then per-core. I'd like to see WAN, LAN, and then each local IP utilization currently / over time and history.
- Security Tweaks (blocking entire countries, and other suggestions?)
- Is there built-in IP list to 100% deny IPs on that list? IE: Using some type of spam or security back-end to populate this list? (Maybe pfBlockerNG)
- What about 'access blocker' for my family... ie: list of sites I can maintain + package for 'not good for kids' sites?

I take it it's not advised to use pfsense as a syslog server too, even though that is a package I see on the list?

Looking forward to hear what everyone else is using, etc...

Reactions: K D and cperalt1

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Use Suricata instead of Snort. Snort is still single threaded and bogs down easily. Suricata processes the same rules but is multi-threaded and will spread the load across all available cores.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I've been using a vanilla pfsense install with minimal configuration changes, and now with my circuit upgraded I'm looking to get a bit more granular in terms of utilization graphs, caching and other security type add-ons.

What are you using in pfsense and how do you like it? Tips/Tricks?

I'm considering:
- Squid + reporting package to view hits/misses/ip usage/etc
- Snort
- Anti-Virus (ClamAV or ?)
- Something to analyze bandwidth / where it's going. Ideally would like to see a graph similar to how vmware does utilization for CPU so you can view 'entire usage %' and then per-core. I'd like to see WAN, LAN, and then each local IP utilization currently / over time and history.
- Security Tweaks (blocking entire countries, and other suggestions?)
- Is there built-in IP list to 100% deny IPs on that list? IE: Using some type of spam or security back-end to populate this list? (Maybe pfBlockerNG)
- What about 'access blocker' for my family... ie: list of sites I can maintain + package for 'not good for kids' sites?

I take it it's not advised to use pfsense as a syslog server too, even though that is a package I see on the list?

Looking forward to hear what everyone else is using, etc...
+1 to this.

i'm building a pfsense box soon too and am keen to get some good ip blocking going.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Anti-Virus on the Gateway I find simply disruptive, so I would pass.
Snort is a great IPS; however, for home use, I ran Snort for three years and only had 5 hits which turned out to be false positives from me monkeying around whilst I was remote.

As of a week ago, I have switched to a USG, which provides me the graphs and DPI visualization that I was looking for.
Super tight rules for IoT VLAN and DNS traffic.
Reverse Proxy has been moved to a Nginx instance on Docker
Snort has been turned off.

PFsense can do a lot of things no doubt, but if it were me I would let it be a Firewall/NAT router first, DNS/DHCP second and Reverse Proxy. Everything else you likely don't need or can do better on docker/VMs.

Reactions: T_Minus