SAS and Sata on one backplane?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I have a SuperMicro 846TQ being fed by 3 Dell Perc H310 HBAs. Can I use 8 SAS drives from one of the H310's and have the rest Sata drives? Does the controller or backplane even care if SAS and Sata are mixed?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If it's a SAS Expander then mixing sata/sas is best done on SAS2 or newer, iirc there were some issues on SAS1 (beyond 2TB limit) with mix/matching.

With the TQ backplane the channels are kept separate so it doesn't matter at all.
You're fine to do that.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I currently run 2 SAS drives as ZFS Log devices and about 12 SATA drives on a 836TQ. Have been running like that for about 6 weeks now. Have not noticed any issues. Tried to run a similar setup connected directly to a controller and that did not work. The one on the controller started reporting issues with the SAS drive. When I tested the SAS drive by itself, it worked just fine. YMMV.

PS - My backpane is driven by an Intel SAS2 Expander.

Last edited:

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
Thanks for the fast reply. Does the H310 care if I mix SAS and Sata on one control card, say 4 of each?

If it's a SAS Expander then mixing sata/sas is best done on SAS2 or newer, iirc there were some issues on SAS1 (beyond 2TB limit) with mix/matching.

With the TQ backplane the channels are kept separate so it doesn't matter at all.
You're fine to do that.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've done it for testing with no issues, no experience in production/long-term sorry.
I'd personally try to keep them on separate channels if possible, others may say otherwise.