Supermicro HTML5 iKVM arrived

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cynix

Jul 26, 2016
I flashed v3.36 on an X10SRH-CF and it's working fine, even though the official version for this board is still v3.27. It seems the firmware isn't really board-specific.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
Has there been any updates on this? I have an X10SRL-F-B and i'm curious if I can flash one of these updated ipmi firmwares to get the HTML5 features as well?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am not sure about that specific motherboard but the new firmware versions I have used across most of their products support the HTML5 iKVM.

I still want HTML5 virtual media support though.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
I am not sure about that specific motherboard but the new firmware versions I have used across most of their products support the HTML5 iKVM.

I still want HTML5 virtual media support though.
Thanks for the reply Patrick! So for an X10 series board do you just go here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support

and grab the firmware from an X10 series board with the highest Rev #, or is there more to it?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
For any SM x10 socket 2011-3 MB you want the firmware in the file X10_REDFISH_348.zip (i.e., release 3.48). It will include the HTML5 console interface.

The virtual media can be managed from a separate screen on the IPMI web interface.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patriot and Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Also, same IPMI firmware release works for any X10SDV Xeon-d board as well.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On Supermicro ftp (which you might have access to if you had a case since the pw does not seem to change too often) the releases are
X10: 350
X11: 133
Not sure when those become available through the website though.
I have used 133 today and it was fine :)

brmiller

Jan 1, 2017
Just got an A1SAM-2750F plugged in tonight (replacing an X7DBN!) and installed Ubuntu over virtual .ISO from laptop. Pretty sweet, but I had to first negotiate Java security exclusions. This thread speaks mostly of LGA2011 boards, redfish, and Xeon-D - are C2xxx boards up for HTML5 iKVM?

Last edited:
Reactions: abq
Jun 5, 2017
Hey guys!

I have an X11-SSH-LN4F, and I'm trying to configure the boot order to boot the system from an onboard USB stick that has FreeNAS 11 installed.

However, no matter what I try, I just cannot get the iKVM console to work to configure the BIOS. I've tried through the legacy IPMI web console, but going to "Console Redirection" just gets me a download for a useless .jnlp file; so does "Power Control" and "Launch SOL". I've tried the Java-based IPMIView tool (I'm on a Mac, but launching the tool and connecting to my box does work), but trying to get the KVM console to run from there fails even without any kind of error.

I even tried updating the firmware for my board, but apparently the 1.11 version that I'm running (IPMI revision 2.0) is already the latest, and the HTML5 console is absoutely nowhere to be found!

Any tips on how I can get out of my current predicament? (other, of course, than biting the bullet and hooking up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, which I want to try to avoid) How/where do I find this promised land of an HTML5 IPMI console?

Thanks in advance!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
opening the jnlp file in windows or osx should open the Java based ikvm window. Ensure that you have the latest version of Java runtime installed.

Jun 5, 2017
The jnlp file is just an XML file, with indeed references to some jar files, including one for my Mac, but I have no idea what to do with any of that. Do I have to pass the file to the "java" command-line client? I'm looking into that, but can't find anythign relevant so far...

Jun 5, 2017
OK, I got the jnlp file to load (did it really have to be *this* difficult?!), but now it's not succeeding at connecting to my server. Investigating that...

Jun 5, 2017
I can telnet to my server's IPMI IP on port 5900

-> telnet 192.168.1.253 5900
Trying 192.168.1.253...
Connected to 192.168.1.253.
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.008
^]
telnet> q
Connection closed.

Also on port 80, 443, 623, 22, and 8889, but not on 5901. Launching the jnlp through the "javaws" tool yields the following:

-> javaws launch.jnlp
(...)
connect failed sd:46
a singal 20 is raised

Any ideas?

And, even better, any pointers on getting out of this excruciating Java hell and gain accesss to the HTML5 IPMI console?

Thanks!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Its not that bad usually - at least on windows after the installation of java jnlp files should be associated with java and as such can be opened with it quite easily :) No clue on Mac though, sorry.

IPMI firmware is not specific to a particular board from my experience, so even if your boards shows 1.11 you should be able to use one of the other X11 boards' file (from X11ssz-TLN4F for example). That one should contain HTML 5 KVM. You will need Chrome thought to use it iirc.

Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for the encourangement, @Rand__ ! I finally got the KVM to work through the most absurd combination of hacks: the iKVM module on the IPMIView iOS app, where I'd use the virtual keyboard to control the board and the boot process, and the Text Console in the Java IPMIView app on my Mac, where I'd see the full screen that the iOS app made a bit difficult to appreciate, but from where I could not use any keyboard to control the board. That was painful!

So after that unfathomable hell of Java torture, I finally managed to boot my system into FreeNAS through the onboard USB port that has a flash drive installed with the OS. The problem that was keeping it from booting is that I'd set FreeNAS to boot with UEFI, which apparently is not supported... by default? Or at all on my X11-SSH-LN4F board? I'm gonna look into that next. But, in any case, the minute I set FreeNAS to boot through the legacy BIOS mode, my board picked up the boot drive right away and put and end to my Java misery!

I'm still really looking forward to the HTML5 IPMI console, because I'm sure this is not going to be the last time I'm gonna have to control my system without an actual OS and without a monitor & keyboard & mouse attached to it. So thanks for the reference, I'll keep looking into that as well!

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
@Juan Manuel Palacios , it seems that they haven't released the IPMI update for your motherboard. I've got an X11-SSi-LN4F, and it does have the update (1.28). If you're feeling extra lucky, you might be able to cross-flash the IPMI with the one for the SSi, but you do run the risk of bricking the IPMI. Or prod Supermicro to release it for your board.
End User License Agreement

Jun 5, 2017
@gzorn Thanks for that info. If I may ask, how did you determine the HTML5 IPMI console for the X11-SSH-LN4F board is not out yet? I didn't find Supermicro's products & downloads pages very friendly or easy to navigate, so it was a bit hard learning what downloads were actually available (hence my hope that I was just missing it and that someone here would point me to it, sniff sniff!).

And yes, I would definitely NOT risk flashing my board with a firmware meant for another one. I'll instead nag Supermicro to please spare us from this continued Java torture and hurry to release the HTML5 console for all!

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
If I may ask, how did you determine the HTML5 IPMI console for the X11-SSH-LN4F board is not out yet? I didn't find Supermicro's products & downloads pages very friendly or easy to navigate, so it was a bit hard learning what downloads were actually available (hence my hope that I was just missing it and that someone here would point me to it, sniff sniff!).
The IPMI firmware is listed separately from the BIOS on the right side - I think you probably found that. I basically compared version numbers for the SSI vs SSH. I had to update manually to R1.28 on my board from 1.11