Supported 3,5 HD on HP DL 160/180, DELL C6xxx etc.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Oct 9, 2016
Hi,
I wish to know which 3.5 SATA HD is compatible on HP DL 180/160 GS, DELL C6100 or DELL C6220. Has anyone experience about this topic ?

Also, which of this kind of systems do you suggest for 3.5 SATA HardDrives ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't know of any reference you should narrow down the make/model/generation and I am sure people can help.
In general dell is more forgiving than HP and earlier HP or earlier firmware is more forgiving than later.

For HP it's either a HP drive or its not, a generic HDS drive is simply not the same as the HP part number, they use custom firmware on the drives to identify them.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Not sure if this is still true but years ago, the HP version of a drive was slightly smaller in usable space than the retail version. It seemed they allocated more reserve space for reallocated sectors with their custom firmware.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Not sure if this is still true but years ago, the HP version of a drive was slightly smaller in usable space than the retail version. It seemed they allocated more reserve space for reallocated sectors with their custom firmware.
The reason they did this is that not all "146GB" drives (for example) had exactly 146GB. By shrinking the reported space slightly, they could mix various brands and models of drives without ending up with an odd-sized drive.