FreeNAS 11

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Anyone upgraded yet? I want to be because of the base OS updates, but am hesitant given the Corral Fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I had two systems running on Corral. Last night I "upgraded" one of them to 11 (in quotes because I had to do a fresh install of Corral, import the pools and re-create my shares). Seems to work OK. My "upgrade" was simple because I don't have any jails, VMs or Dockers running (any of which severely complicates upgrades from Corral or even 9.10.x).

I did note that windows shares seem more responsive from the a win10 system. I thought I was just being optimistic but I played with shares from the two FreeNAS boxes (one still on Corral, one upgraded to 11) and the difference was very noticeable and consistent. No idea why - except perhaps the update to Samba 4.6.4 in FreeNAS 11 and the SMB3.x features added to the 4.6 release train.

Haven't had it running long enough to judge stability or issues.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I am beating on it now and will report back my '1000 ft view' here in the next day or two. My test FN11 AIO is suffering some abuse as I type this. :-D

EDIT: SMFH, srsly, cannot create a raid-z out of three hussl slc ssd's, created a stripe just fine then I couldn't even modify any of the core functionality blue buttons (buttons elicit no repose when clicked).

Talk abt a snafu, I had such high hopes, here's to the next 'drop'. Back to the legacy UI that works...grumble grumble

upload_2017-6-16_17-22-18.png
upload_2017-6-16_17-22-26.png

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Upgraded one AIO. No issues encountered. There was a reminder to upgrade my pool to the latest version but I'm holding off for now.

Don't like the new UI. Sticking to the old one.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
I have also upgraded one of my 2 FreeNAS machines. Seems to work well, but existing bhyve machines are not imported to the GUI. A new VM machine can be created in the GUI, and the disk (from an old VM) can be used. But the new UI expects to boot VM machines through UEFI, my existing Linux virtual machines are all setup with grub and MBR... I have tried to convert one of the machines to use UEFI and it won't boot.

The Linux VM machines can be started using command line - and if setup to start automatically, they do so. Therefore, concerning VM, FreeNAS 11 does not change anything for me.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
FN11 is an update to the last 9.10 build so I don't expect any issues to pop up. The new GUI is still in beta so not surprised it has some issues.

I'll be putting 11 on my backup server in the near future. Going to test it out before I migrate the main server.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I pulled the trigger this morning on the upgrade to see if it resolves my ongoing NFS issues. Holding off on upgrading my pools, in case I need to roll-back.

First Impressions:
Similar to @PigLover much faster SMB access times
Dont really like the new UI, its different, but I dont really see it as an improvement.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
So far 11 appears to just be mostly the same feature functionality as 9.10 with a new gui
That's because 11 is the last update for 9.10 renamed. With Corral cancelled they moved back to the versioning scheme where the major number syncs with the FreeBSD version being used.

i upgrade from 9.x and dont see the new gui, do i need to change a setting?
There is an option to select which UI you want to use on the login screen.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Interesting tid bit, and not a scientific finding by any stretch.

Since my upgrade to FN11, my ARC hit ratio has increased from 65% to around 82%. I don't know why this would have changed and certainly, my workload hasn't changed. I welcome it just the same.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Interesting tid bit, and not a scientific finding by any stretch.

Since my upgrade to FN11, my ARC hit ratio has increased from 65% to around 82%. I don't know why this would have changed and certainly, my workload hasn't changed. I welcome it just the same.
Probably not an actual change in hit rate. Likely more related to the fact that they "fixed" (or at least modified) hit rate calcs early in the FN11 development cycle (sometime around FN9.10.2).

See here for some discussion. You gotta dig deeper to get the details: [SOLVED] Differing ARC Usage in FreeNAS-9.10.2

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
am still on the sidelines, so what's the general consensus here about the stability of FN11?
i don't have jails or VMs running on mine, so that's less complication for me at least.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Didn't have any issues - upgraded and left alone, continued to run as before.
Only thing noticeable - more frequent updates;)