Synology DS1517+ Review A 5-Bay NAS 10GbE Powerhouse

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Our Synology DS1517+ review shows how this 5-Bay NAS is transformed with an upgraded NIC into a 10GbE powerhouse for SMB and high-end SOHO environments
You write "The DS1517+ handles encryption at 10GbE network speeds with ease also."

It looks to me like the encryption system hits a wall at around 170MB/sec. That's quite a bit less than the unencrypted performance which reaches 630MB/sec. That doesn't sound like "with ease" to me. It would be interesting to know if the chassis supports self-encrypting drives.

There also look to be some poor trade-offs in this system - you can either install a SSD cache card or a 10Gbe card, but not both. The PCIe slot is PCIe 2 x4 in a x8 physical connector. At least for the Intel dual 10GBe cards, that is going to get you a "PCI-Express bandwidth available for this card is not sufficient for optimal performance. For optimal performance a x8 PCI-Express slot is required." message at boot.

There is no internal picture in the article, but with 5 SATA drive bays there should be SATA ports available (even if the system boots from a SATA DoM) for SATA cache cards without needing to use the single expansion card slot. I realize they want to keep costs down, but if the SATA port is already there it is just a matter of finding a spot for the M.2 card on the motherboard, or a place to hang a 2.5" SATA SSD if there's no room on the motherboard.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I am a huge Synology fan but the encrypted vs unencrypted is mediocre at best. One thing I do want to point out is that the Mellonox card used is not on the officially supported list from Synology.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I am a huge Synology fan but the encrypted vs unencrypted is mediocre at best. One thing I do want to point out is that the Mellonox card used is not on the officially supported list from Synology.
This is interesting. I'm curious if it also works with connect-x3 vpi cards...

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I bought an aftermarket x540 to see how it performed as they are on the approved list. I don't have time to diagnose headaches with a NAS in a lab. I just need it to work. However, after seeing these results I may roll my own or stick with 1Gbe. Something else to point out is that we have no specs to the test station. The speeds see very low (read or write unencrypted) for 10Gbe. I also usually prefer to see read and write speeds for each test, but that is just me.

William

May 7, 2015
Yes it only has one PCIe slot so you can use either a network or M.2 card with it.
The picture shows how you can configure the system if you want to use both.

This is by far the fastest NAS we have had in the lab yet. It beats the other 4-Bay NAS's we have looked at in all tests.
I did not show the others in the charts as they are different configurations, 4 drives in a 4 Bay NAS vs 3 drives in a 5 Bay NAS. I use the configs they send me as at this time I do not have enough drives to setup a full 5 bay NAS. I am getting there tho.
I do have another 4 Bay NAS I am testing right now, that one will have all the other 4 Bay NAS with it.

You write "The DS1517+ handles encryption at 10GbE network speeds with ease also."
It looks to me like the encryption system hits a wall at around 170MB/sec. That's quite a bit less than the unencrypted performance which reaches 630MB/sec.
The DS1517+ does indeed hit around 170MB/s, while the QNAP TS-453A hits 112 MB/s and the DS916+ hits about 113 MB/s with Encryption.
I do not see a need to encrypt movies tho., maybe I am wrong about that ?