QSFP+ to SFP+ Optics - Possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
I'm sure this is a n00b question but there are plenty of QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ DACs on the market. I've seen a Mellanox 1x QSFP+ to 1x SFP+ DAC cable and an optics module each for sub $20. Is there a way to go from 1x QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ optics? SR okay/ preferable.

I'm thinking of getting an Arista 40GbE switch for the data center then using one of the QSFP+ ports for SFP+ optics as a WAN connection. Have the four SFP+ ports on a VLAN so I can have the optics to the data center and two SFP+ to the firewalls internally. Then I'd keep everything else in the rack either on SFP+ DACs --OR-- mostly 40Gb. I don't want to lose a 40Gb port for a single 10Gb WAN.

I asked what the 40Gb WAN costs and there were too many MRC zeros.

OpticalTransceiver

Nov 9, 2016
40G QSFP+ to 4x10G SFP+ breakout Active Optical Cable 40G qsfp+ breakout 4 SFP+ Probably the one you wanted. Also if the linkrange is too long. You can choose QSFP+ 40G PSM4 + 4* 10gSFP+ via 40G QSFP+ PSM4 LR4 1310nm 10km Transceiver Commercial Temperature for up to 10km link.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
40G QSFP+ to 4SFP+ breakout copper cable might be the best solution for you. QSFP+ for the switch QSFP+ port and SFP+ for the switch SFP+ port. I have purchsed this types of cables from fs.com, you can contact them if you have related needs. Hope this can help you.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
40G QSFP+ to 4x10G SFP+ breakout Active Optical Cable 40G qsfp+ breakout 4 SFP+ Probably the one you wanted. Also if the linkrange is too long. You can choose QSFP+ 40G PSM4 + 4* 10gSFP+ via 40G QSFP+ PSM4 LR4 1310nm 10km Transceiver Commercial Temperature for up to 10km link.
Did you read OPs post or are you just a spambot?

Reactions: maze

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I don't think there's a reasonable way to go from QSFP male to SFP female (so you could have 4 different SFP modules, potentially all different), but as OpticalTransceiver was saying (I think), you can put a normal optical QSFP into the Arista, then use a MTP-to-4xLC fiber breakout cable to go to 4 different SFP devices. I'm doing that at home to connect to a few devices.

Reactions: OpticalTransceiver

OpticalTransceiver

Nov 9, 2016
I don't think there's a reasonable way to go from QSFP male to SFP female (so you could have 4 different SFP modules, potentially all different), but as OpticalTransceiver was saying (I think), you can put a normal optical QSFP into the Arista, then use a MTP-to-4xLC fiber breakout cable to go to 4 different SFP devices. I'm doing that at home to connect to a few devices.
It has to be either QSFP+ 40G SR4 multimode 850nm pair up with 10G SFP+ SR multimode and multimode fiber within 300M reach, which is cheap. or QSFP+ 40G PSM4 pair up with 10G SFP+ 1310nm single mode can be longer up to 10km. But I still think 1x4 breakout AOC is better.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
As an alternative solution to QSFP+ Transceivers and MTP/MPO patch cables, the 40G QSFP+ breakout AOC/DAC cables can offer a highly cost-effective way to connect within racks and across adjacent racks. QSFP+ to 4SFP+ DAC is suitable for short distance, while QSFP+ to 4SFP+ AOC is for longer distance.

Or you can directly buy the QSFP+ transceivers and MTP-LC fiber cables.

Last edited:

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Interesting, I haven't seen OEOs before. Kinda pricy, though; I think I paid less for my 18x40G switch.

Dast2

Jun 5, 2017
You can choose the 40GBASE-SR4 QSFP+ module that supports the 40G network at length up to 150 m. Meanwhile, four 10GBASE-SR SFP+ modules are required. So is the MTP-LC harness cable for connecting QSFP+ and four SFP+ modules.

If the link distance is longer than 150 m in your network, 40GBASE-CSR4 QSFP+ module may be a better choice. It can transmit the 40G signals longer, up to 400 m. As for the fiber patch cable, you can still chosse OM3 or OM4 MTP-LC harness cable.