Supermicro unRAID System From MrRackables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cm.graz

Apr 6, 2017
Below is my shameless plug for MrRackables. I've seen too many poor experiences people have had with online resellers that I thought I'd share my positive one.

About 5 years ago I built my first unRAID system. At that time, I was primarily focused on having a system to safely store and serve data, mostly media, to client devices in my household. Over the years, as our community has grown leaps and bounds, between the community applications growth in dockers, as well as well as integrating virtual machines, I quickly found myself maxing out my Pentium G2120 & 4GB RAM’s limits.

I have spent countless hours on these boards, conversing with fellow forum members about the pros and cons of different hardware. The dual Xeon E5-2670 processors seemed to be a popular choice. While being an older CPU, these can still be had for relatively cheap and provide an insane amount of multi-tasking abilities for people who are really looking to push their server to the limits.

I have minimal experience with buying used equipment. However, it seems like a must if you’re not trying to break the bank while attempting to make something that’s at a semi-commercial level for home consumer use. I see plenty of threads pop up about different deals, where to get this or that, who to avoid, and so on. Rather than go on anecdotal information, I decided to take action. I took down the information from all of the top eBay server resellers and reached out. I shared my story, explained that there are many of us on the forums outgrowing our current equipment, and expressed our interest in upgrading to a more robust solution.

The one company that stood out was MrRackables. Their level of responsiveness was unparalleled among the resellers I was in contact with. They quickly responded to my email inquiries, and were very helpful and explicit throughout the process. They kept me informed on where things stood from pre purchase to delivery.

Their builds setup allows users to pick and choose parts, truly creating a custom system built to order. For what you’re getting, the pricing is great.

They had the CPUs I was looking for which got us off on the right foot. Their bread and butter are the Supermicro systems which is great since I’ve always been a fan of their hardware. They had choices from 1U-4U servers which could range from 4-24 hot swap drive bays. They had a nice selection of motherboards allowing for quite a bit of flexibility in total DIMM slots and PCI slots depending on your needs.

When I was done researching my options, we came up with this system:

2U Supermicro 12 Bay Server

Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F Motherboard

2x Intel Xeon E5-2670

64GB RAM (8x 8GB)

LSI 9211-4i HBA CARD

8x 3.5" Caddies

4x 2.5" adapters with 3.5" Caddies

Dual 1200W Power Supply

Rail kit

4x 1GBE Onboard NIC

Dedicated IPMI remote management port

The quote came in at $967. I compared prices with other resellers, and could not find anything cheaper. I could have considered buying each part independently to beat the price, but then I'd be dealing with 5+ sellers and 5x the risk that one of my components would be broken. In this scenario, if I had any issues, I was confident that through the rapport I had built with them, that the issue would be quickly resolved. I was sold. I placed the order and we were on our way.

It took a couple days to build, was sent via UPS Ground, and was here in under a week, from CA to NY.

The packaging thoroughly impressed me. It was not loose in the box with some annoying packing popcorn to secure it. It was tightly packed with styrofoam border and seemed very secure.

I took the system out of the box and placed it on my workbench. Unfortunately I'm still looking for a server rack, so this beast will sit desktop for a few weeks until I have that figured out:

I gave it it's first boot to test out the specs, All components posted and matched the order. So far so good! I pulled the drives from my current unRAID setup and transferred them to the new system. I realized that I did not have any type of adapter for my 2.5" SSD. After contacting MrRackables, I had 4x adapters here 48 hours later. It was great to see that even post-purchase, a company was still quick to respond and work with their customers to resolve any issues. I booted up, and my oh my, what a sight to see!

This system is ready to roll. I have slowly begun to roll out different VM instances, like Windows 10 & Ubuntu. I have added Zoneminder docker for surveillance. I can worry-free run multiple transcoding streams concurrently on Plex. I have installed video cards to the PCI slots without issue. This system handles it, and still has an incredible amount of room for growth.

For the price and the ongoing support, I am super stoked about working with MrRackables. They have my full endorsement for anyone still looking for their own custom server to run unRAID. If anyone has any questions, I'd contact their Director of Sales, Justin. He was the one I dealt with from MrRackables and I can vouch for the quality he provided. This is his email. mr@itrecyclenow.com

DISCLAIMER: I did receive a few small perks, like a few free drive trays and free shipping after mentioning to MrRackables I was doing this review. With that said, I do not work for them, or receive any type of residual on future sales. I'm simply supporting a company which I had a great experience with in a field where many have had issues. If they were to ask how you heard of them, tell them anything you'd like as again, I receive no compensation for my ongoing support.

Reactions: cperalt1

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
I've looked at many of their auctions, but I didn't realize they could do custom builds. I also saw your post on the unRaid forums, I wish more people would go this route rather than building desktop pc's which won't have anywhere near the build quality or expansion.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
GOOD:
They have great prices.
Communication is good.

BAD:
Their servers a little beat up. (but that's personal point of view)
Testing is not so good and defective system components may end up for customer's later headaches.(that's a fact)
Customer support not very technical and you can end up not being able to get the right rails for example, despite multiple efforts.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I've bought from them twice. Once a complete 3u system. Second one was a barebones. Both times their customer service was excellent when I contacted them to add extras like 2.5 bays, power splitters etc. Both were extremely clean and well refurbished and well packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
@cm.graz For the rack, I build my own DIY rack from similar item : 72"x48"x24" Heavy Duty 5 Tier Layer Shelving Rack Steel Shelf Adjustable Storage | eBay (search : 24 heavy duty shelving | eBay). Just look for the cheapest one you like.

These are 24 inches wide and will fit any rack server perfectly. You can even attach rails with minor modifications - and it cost under 100 bucks. If you want some noise absorbing, just build an MDF cover over it (+soft sound absorbing material eg. Adam Hall (closed cell)).

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
I've bought from them twice. Once a complete 3u system. Second one was a barebones. Both times their customer service was excellent when I contacted them to add extras like 2.5 bays, power splitters etc. Both were extremely clean and well refurbished and well packed.

I bought more then twice , one time return whole 3u chassis back. You mileage may vary.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Unix surplus is known for having the $99 special servers that die.

I've spent well into five figures with them. Their used servers seem to have had hard lives. Some great deals. Some good deals. Some that die. All part of the used game.

Reactions: Black Ninja

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015

I've spent well into five figures with them. Their used servers seem to have had hard lives. Some great deals. Some good deals. Some that die. All part of the used game.
I think you've said it all.I agree 100%

K D

Dec 24, 2016

Agreed. When you buy used, there is always a risk.

cm.graz

Apr 6, 2017
@cm.graz For the rack, I build my own DIY rack from similar item : 72"x48"x24" Heavy Duty 5 Tier Layer Shelving Rack Steel Shelf Adjustable Storage | eBay (search : 24 heavy duty shelving | eBay). Just look for the cheapest one you like.

These are 24 inches wide and will fit any rack server perfectly. You can even attach rails with minor modifications - and it cost under 100 bucks. If you want some noise absorbing, just build an MDF cover over it (+soft sound absorbing material eg. Adam Hall (closed cell)).
I've thought of building my own rack. The more I hear about it like your post, the more I'm interested in doing so.

To emphasize the purpose of this post, I think it's important to highlight what @MiniKnight said. In summary, your mileage may vary.

That's why I like these guys. Customer support is a big part of the used game. From my experience, even after the point of sale, they were there to help and provide assistance with any questions or issues I had with the system. Many others will leave you high and dry after the sale. Not these guys.

cm.graz

Apr 6, 2017
I've looked at many of their auctions, but I didn't realize they could do custom builds. I also saw your post on the unRaid forums, I wish more people would go this route rather than building desktop pc's which won't have anywhere near the build quality or expansion.
Yeah, completely agree. What a difference from the older desktop I built. Especially with something like unRAID that allows for dockers and VMs, having a system like this is great.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016

I have the same thoughts regarding them. Not too technical. Customer service not really existent unless you've already paid them. I just bought 4 of their tower chassis from them, I requested they strip SC 745 towers. They were pretty banged up and only 1 had trays. I had to email to request trays. 2 of them have doors that just flap around obnoxiously because I'm assuming they were mishandled and the plastic clip broke off. I had them refund me the cost of new bezels from supermicro so I am just going that route.

Luckily they are just chassis, not much that can go wrong with them aside from them having hard lives aesthetically.. I probably wouldn't recommend them, to be honest.

However, their packaging is pretty solid at least. They use that heat expanding foam stuff.

Last edited:

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I bought a Rackable SE3016 disk chassis from them awhile back, and it came in excellent shape and very well packed with that expanding foam. Wasn't an expensive purchase, but I was impressed with the quality of service. Would certainly buy from them again.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I agree with those who've stated that they're worth watching for a good price, but technical knowledge and after sale support is hit or miss. I had an issue where they advertised prices bordering on too good to be true, so I reached out to verify the listing was accurate. They swore up and down it was and when I got the servers they ended up being worth almost half of what was promised. Because I was in Canada at the time and used a parcel holding service I was SoL on a return. I had to haggle with them on a partial refund which they were very aggressive about. In the end I'll still buy from them if the price is right, but unlike OP I don't think they're anything special.

HVAD

Apr 27, 2016
We have bought a lot of servers from MrRackables since 2 years ago, all of them are running fine for our colocation. The price is good, but sometimes I can get cheaper somewhere else (garlandcomputer and TechyParts are our favorites sellers besides MrRackables). We have 2-3 times that the servers we bought had bad RAM sticks or they sent 3.5" trays instead of requested 2.5" trays, but they resolved it quickly. Still recommend them if you need custom build servers :)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i've bought from MrRackables too, but honestly wasn't impressed. it's obvious they are not very thorough with their testing, if they even do any. often orders arrive with something that isn't right, and even though they will take care of it, I would much prefer it if they just got it right the first time.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
We've ordered from them in the past but now I'm buying more from the Texas shops.

When did we allow people to get paid to post advertisements for companies on STH? I know these recycling guys are shady but this post feels weird. Paying people for forum testimonials feels like paying people for Amazon reviews.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Back when I was still buying SM846 chassis I switched to ordering from Texas as well. I could never get Mr Rackables to give a shipping discount on multiple item order even though they get reduced shipping for multi item shipments. They guys out of Texas would. So it ended up being cheaper.

A couple of my 846 chassis from Mr Rackables also had dead backplane LED's so it's unlikely they refurbish anything. They simply take them off the pallet, put them in the box and hope for the best. They did however replace the backplanes free of charge which honestly isn't exceptional service, it's what they were required to do.

So to echo what others have said, buying used is always hit or miss. They all get these chassis by the pallet load from the DC's so it's down to whoever offers the best price and service. And for me, that wasn't Mr Rackables.