PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Good point, Makes me wanna grab a few before they realize their mistake:p

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Good point, Makes me wanna grab a few before they realize their mistake:p
Pricing seems to be consistent from different vendors..

What I'd really like to know is what exactly makes the X10DSC+ and X10SRW-F compatible with several of these cards.. Simply a matter of testing, or is there something different on those two boards? The DSC+ has oculink on board, but the SRW-F does not:

I have a X10DRU-i+, 12 more NVMe drives, and two cpu's sitting here in boxes.. if only I had a good way to plug it all together lol.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I wondered that myself; thought they had a special slot for these type of cards maybe, but never followed up

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
"...up to 4 samsung 2tb pros..."
I don't know how much better the nvme samsungs are compared to the sata devices. But if they have a similar behaviour under sustained reads/writes than even pci x4 would provide more than enough bandwidth.
Yes if you are needing so much performance then I would say other options may serve a purpose better, 8 x sas3 enterprise ssd for example.

I have no hands on experience with the NVMe Pro's but they don't look as bad as a SATA EVO sure, but don't think they match the enterprise drives for sustained performance.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Pricing seems to be consistent from different vendors..

What I'd really like to know is what exactly makes the X10DSC+ and X10SRW-F compatible with several of these cards.. Simply a matter of testing, or is there something different on those two boards? The DSC+ has oculink on board, but the SRW-F does not:

I have a X10DRU-i+, 12 more NVMe drives, and two cpu's sitting here in boxes.. if only I had a good way to plug it all together lol.
Can't tell exactly, but the default config for that card is to treat the PCIex16 as 4x4. It likely has to do with both PCIe lane allocation and bifurcation support in the bios.

Jun 24, 2015
> the default config for that card is to treat the PCIex16 as 4x4.
> It likely has to do with both PCIe lane allocation and bifurcation support in the bios

That makes total sense:

with a variety of different jumper settings,
there will need to be logic at the other end
of those circuits to read the jumper settings
and then adjust behavior accordingly.

As such, the BIOS is where that "adjustment"
would need to be made.

(Just thinking out loud here, OK?)