NorcoRPC-2008 and RL-20 Rail Fit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

theslim1

May 4, 2016
I'm having trouble mounting my Norco RPC-2008 and Norco RL-20 rail kit in a Startech 4POST25U rack. After mounting the inner rails on the server, and outer rails on the rack, it appears the server / rail combination is not wide enough for my rack. It just barley doesn't have enough width to stay in the rails on both sides. Has anyone had similar issues or can give me some advice on making this combination work? Here are some photos to show my layout (see attached)

Attachments

nj47

Jan 2, 2016
I have the same rack and rails but the Norco RPC-270 case. It has a similar problem where when I first tried to rack the server it took me probably 20 minutes to force it in. Once I got it in it did work, but it was clearly bending the rails when you pulled the server out / pushed it back in.

To makes things better I added washers between the rails and server chassis on both sides making it much closer to the correct width.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
That's one of the issues with Norco, even their own products don't fit standard width racks. Back when I used Norco chassis they would never fit a standard rack, they were always too wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theslim1

May 4, 2016
I have the same rack and rails but the Norco RPC-270 case. It has a similar problem where when I first tried to rack the server it took me probably 20 minutes to force it in. Once I got it in it did work, but it was clearly bending the rails when you pulled the server out / pushed it back in.

To makes things better I added washers between the rails and server chassis on both sides making it much closer to the correct width.
Thanks for the advice on the washers -- I'll try that tomorrow. Does the rest of my orientation and screw placement look correct? I wasn't sure about which way the outer rails should sit in the the rack (Back vs Front).

theslim1

May 4, 2016
That's one of the issues with Norco, even their own products don't fit standard width racks. Back when I used Norco chassis they would never fit a standard rack, they were always too wide.

What kind of cases do you run now?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
What kind of cases do you run now?
Kind of in the middle right now. I went from Norco 2212's to SAS1 Supermicro 826's, grew into the SAS1 Supermicro 846's, then jumped on the bandwagon and moved over to (4) SAS3 60 bay HGST chassis. I was running nothing but 2TB drives at that time. Got in on the Best Buy 8TB drive deal and upgraded everything and no longer needed that many drive bays. So I listed my 846 chassis on Craigslist and sold not only those but all my HGST chassis as well. So now I have (32) 8TB drives sitting on my desk and a completely empty server rack.

I had bought a handful of SAS2 Chenbro 23212's but I'm in a bit of a fan dilemma. I had installed quiet Arctic 80mm fans but they just don't provide enough airflow to cool the drives with the 8TB WD's consuming so much of the drive bay (thickness) and the stock fans have a horrible acoustic sound so I will either have to find different fans or I might get rid of my entire rack set up and just go with something like a large (and quiet) caselabs tower and condense my entire set up.

I had a couple Norco 470's that I always kept around for a spare build if I ever needed a temporary home for something. Even those won't fit my rack with the recommended Norco rails, they are also too wide. I just think Norco should invest $1 into a cheap tape measure, they would be better off.