What Keyboard are you using?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
So I've been using a Logitech Dinovo for a while. I love it. Unfortunately its dying on me, and Logitech don't make anything comparable (as far as I can see) anymore... so in search of a new keyboard.

I'm not a huge fan of mechanical keyboards with a large amount of travel on the keys, and prefer something silent. Id really love something like the Apple Bluetooth Keyboards, but full size, rather than cramped, and a numpad as well.... Multimedia keys/trackpads would be nice as well....

So what do you guys use/recommend? Seems Das Keyboards are all the rage now days, but alas, I'm hesitant to try it as its a mechanical

alucasa

May 23, 2017
I've been using Logitech washable keyboard (s). Yes, I keep several.

Keyboards are one of PC components that get real, I mean real, dirty over years. Being able to wash it is crucial.

2 years old and looks almost as good as new. I just soak in water bi-weekly.

IMG_2090.JPG

Reactions: pgh5278

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm also looking for a new keyboard, added this thread to my watch list.

I'm using a Logitech g19 at home. The display and the "apps" for it are awesome, but the keys started to feel weird after 1 year of use. Wouldn't buy again.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't like the feel of Logitech much, most I have tried and use age sort of 'soft' feeling...

Apple USB with the keypad is my current favorite but I know some people hate them as well.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Currently CM Storm QuickFire but have a Ducky here I was using and just haven't swapped back to ;) and a 2nd Ducky (mini) next to me for when I played around with my 3rd-monitor running another system.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I've been using Logitech washable keyboard (s). Yes, I keep several.
DEC LK463 here. What can I say, I run VMS (which is different from VMs). Not my pic:

Keyboards are one of PC components that get real, I mean real, dirty over years. Being able to wash it is crucial.
One of my first tech support jobs was maintaining Lear Siegler ADM-2 terminals used as copy input devices for phototypesetters. The standard keyboard wasn't rugged enough (it used foil on the bottom of foam pads, sort of an ancestor of modern rubber-dome switches). The company had LS build special keyboards where each key drove a magnet that activated a glass-enclosed reed relay. All of the PCB artwork was on the back and middle layer (a 3-layer keyboard). The top side of the PCB was completely blank except for the reed relays. Hellishly expensive, but utterly reliable. The only thing that would knock one of those out was getting physically clogged (usually by cigarette ash - blech). Again, not my picture:

Once I had my own company, I commissioned a pefect Selectric-clone keyboard from Microswitch for the data input terminals we sold. Same reed-relay design, but 100% Selectric layout (with added keys). All the way down to the mechanically locking Shift Lock key which would pop back up if the Shift key on either side was pressed. I have one around here somewhere if anybody wants to see a picture of it.

Reactions: cperalt1

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I am no help for OP. I jumped on the mechanical train and have not looked back. I don't understand the dislike of travel. If you get something like a blue, brown, green, or clear switch, the activation point is about mid-way. The point is to not bottom out the key like the laptop boards.

AT clone buckling spring I don't use any more.
Rosewill with blue switches.
Code with clears on my coding desktop at home.
Ducky with browns on the computer I use for gaming. The Ducky is oddly thick, so I have a wrist pad for it. The browns are also waay too light after using the clears and browns for a while.
CM Storm 87 with greens at work. I miss the 10key at work, but I love these switches.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Luckily you can go mechanical and stay 'silent' just gotta get the right kind of keys/buttons/whatever they call them :)

I have some that drive you INSANE clicky-tacticle etc lol, others dead-silent :)

I like the click but with other people around it's a NO GO...same for gaming, mic picks it up and annoys every1 ha ha!

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
After years of a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard I finally joined the ranks of the mechanical keyboards. Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Browns [the version w/o the crazy RGB lighting]. Friend complained it was a bit too lough for his taste so he swapped o-rings but stock for me. As long as I can tolerate it it's ok. =)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Once I had my own company, I commissioned a pefect Selectric-clone keyboard from Microswitch for the data input terminals we sold. Same reed-relay design, but 100% Selectric layout (with added keys). All the way down to the mechanically locking Shift Lock key which would pop back up if the Shift key on either side was pressed. I have one around here somewhere if anybody wants to see a picture of it.
I found it and fished it out. Bear in mind that this pre-dates the PC, so it doesn't have keys you'd expect, but has others:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I have a ducky shine 3 with cherry red switches in it as well as a coolermaster quickfire with the cherry greens in it, depending on whether i feel clicky or not.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
I loved the machine gun keyboards. I've already searched for a quiet, fast response keyboard. Oddly, I always end up with a Microsoft natural. I'm on my third and I got my first in mid 90s. The action is middle of the road but it is quiet (which is about WAF, I'd prefer louder). The real reason I keep going back is the rsi and the saving of my wrists. As for feel and speed, I've adapted without negative consequences and my body is thankful that my mind hasn't won.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Love my Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard (I have 2 and used to have the wireless version). I also run Logitech k360 for times when I need something smaller/wireless. No a fan of the short depth chiclet style new MS ergo keyboards. Would go mechanical if I could find just the right ergo payout MS Natural 4000 is pretty much perfect in my mind other than not mechanical.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I love my Das keyboard 4 Professional Brown for home-use. The Cherry MX Brown keys are good for typing, while also reasonably silent.

However, at work I equally love my Logitech K750. It is a very silent chiclet-keyboard, which may appeal more to you. What's more: The keyboard is wireless and solar powered. "Solar powered" is a bit of a misnomer, however, since whatever light you have in the office will be plenty to keep it charged, and the charge lasts for months in total darkness. My keyboard has never run out of power.

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Using a STRIKE 7 for many years now. Great keyboard but costly.

Had plenty of issues with drivers but finally got them sorted out, macro keys all work. I really don't use the LCD display tho.