Lost network connectivity

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
So, I got a bit frustrated with the e1000 network speeds from my napp-it AIO, and maybe stupidly deleted the e1000. Added a second VMXNET3, and I think everything was configured properly, yet somehow I'm unable to access the web-gui for napp-it, or ping out from it in general. It can only ping itself.

dladm show-phys
e1000g0 is down
vmxnet3s0 is up
vmxnet3s1 is up

I got rid of the ip address for e1000g0, and:
ipadm create-addr -T static <same ip address as the old e1000> vmxnet3s1

ipadm show-addr
reveals a static ip for lo0/v4, vmxnet3s0/v4 as my VM ip address. and vmxnet3s1/v4 as my storage network ip address (no adapters, just between VMs). Also lo0/v6 ::1/128. Nothing unusual here, I think.

I've added a default route to the VM network. Doesn't seem to have any effect.

Restarted the VM, restarted ESXi. No joy.

What am I missing?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
Has it been up for awhile or is this a new install that you deleted the E1000 for? If new, I'd just nuke and import disks to a new VM.

IIRC I've had this happen using Hyper-V before with different VMs. MAC address was not the same and that was my issue.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
It's been up for a while. I wonder if I need to just reboot the router, or could I just change the MAC to match the old e1000 in vsphere?

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Nope, it didn't like me trying to manually edit the MAC. Rebooting the router had no effect either. Back to square 1.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
so, ipadm create-addr -T dhcp vmxnet3s0/v4 times out with:

ipadm: warning: Communications with dhcpagent timed out.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? What needs restarting?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You need a working DHCP server ex the external one provided by your Internet access router.
Your vmxnet3 vnic must be connected to your ESXi physical nic over the ESXi virtual switch. If you use vlans, you must select the proper vlan.

Other Option:
manual ip settings, require a manual ip, a default route and a resolver setting

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Ok, but the dhcp was working fine previously. And no issues with other machines accessing internet.

It has a default route set when I tried a static ip.

Isn't the template setup for dhcp already?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The template is prepared for dhcp, this should work out of the box
You can set network then in menu System > Network Eth

If you had set a manual ip at console you may need to delete the default route (route flush)
and control the gateway setting in /etc/defaultrouter

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
I've tried all that and came up empty.

I think I'll just use the new template file and start fresh. It's pretty easy to import existing pools, right? I don't need to know their exact configuration, just the pool name, right?

Just so I don't screw this up again, to switch the e1000 out for a vmxnet3, I should be able to delete-addr the e1000 and create-addr the vmxnet3? Should I do that on first startup? Or is there a way to change the setting right in the ESXi setup of the VM template?

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Ok, well, I blew away the old template, reinstalled the current one. Set it up, even added an extra vmxnet3 and set a static ip at my previously used address and all seems to work and connect fine. Got my previous pools imported.

One problem though. I can't login to the console. It's incredibly slow and giving me some odd errors.

"Warning :KVM: no hardware support" and

"Smbserv : NOTICE: smbd [NT Authority / Anonymous] music access denied IPC only

Does the same for all my previously setup shares. Not really sure if it will ever get to an actual login screen. What did I screw up this time?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
1. KVM is only supported on real Intel hardware, only a message
2. User music tries to access a share without permissions, only a message

Is console slow when entering a command or must you wait long until the login appears?
Is this in the ESXi webconsole (which ESXi) or when you connect ex via Putty?

For Putty and root access you must enable SSH with root allowed in menu services.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
The messages never did stop - I never got to a console login.

Even though all the SMB shares were working fine, I removed and added them, restarted the VM and the messages are now gone.

The vmxnet3 driver definitely is quicker than the e1000