OpenIndiana 2017.04

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crept

May 17, 2016
Hi Gea,

I've just tried installing napp-it on OI 2017.04 and it failed with "Illumian is no longer supported".

1) Installed OI as a VM
2) as su: pk install open-vm-tools
3) as su: pk update
4) as su: wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl

Anything I might have missed?

Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
please retry
the uname contains a substring that was unique for the illumian releases at that time.

crept

May 17, 2016
There are some TTY perl errors when accessing POOLS, ZFS FILESYSTEMS and SNAPSHOTS.

Code:
Can't load '/var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/auto/IO/Tty/Tty.so' for module IO::Tty: ld.so.1: perl: fatal: relocation error: file /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/auto/IO/Tty/Tty.so: symbol PL_thr_key: referenced symbol not found at /usr/perl5/5.22/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/DynaLoader.pm line 193. at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Tty.pm line 30. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Pty.pm line 7. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Pty.pm line 7. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/Expect.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/Expect.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/illumos/zfslib.pl line 2843. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/illumos/zfslib.pl line 2843. Compilation failed in require at admin.pl line 399.
Code:
Can't load '/var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/auto/IO/Tty/Tty.so' for module IO::Tty: ld.so.1: perl: fatal: relocation error: file /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/auto/IO/Tty/Tty.so: symbol PL_thr_key: referenced symbol not found at /usr/perl5/5.22/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/DynaLoader.pm line 193. at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Tty.pm line 30. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Pty.pm line 7. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/IO/Pty.pm line 7. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/Expect.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/Expect.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/illumos/zfslib.pl line 2843. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/illumos/zfslib.pl line 2843. Compilation failed in require at admin.pl line 833.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Seems that there is a newer build than the one I have used for my tests.
This error results if you use another Perl version thhat is not compatible with the Perl Expect binaries that are included in napp-it. I will check tomorrow and add a newer Expect if needed.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I cannot reproduce the problem with the current 2017.04 OpenIndiana
After initial setup from iso (text and GUI version) i got Illumos-build 48d8443e35. After a pkg update I was on build 5806135a39

Did you use another build or have you modified something regarding Perl?
What is the output of: cat /etc/release

crept

May 17, 2016
Hi Gea,

The cat /etc/release out put says:
Code:
OpenIndiana Hipster 2017.04 (powered by illumos)
        OpenIndiana Project, part of The Illumos Foundation (C) 2010-2017
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 01 May 2017
At this moment, after a pkg update, I'm on build: 49bf4c2bcf
I'll reinstall and start fresh.

crept

May 17, 2016
Gea,

This is what I found out. (Could only be my setup).

I did a fresh install and was on 48d8443e35.
Installed open-vm-tools, then pkg update. After update I'm on 49bf4c2bcf.
Installed Napp-it. Installs successfully but TTY perl errors when accessing POOLS, ZFS FILESYSTEMS and SNAPSHOTS.

Reinstalled fresh, on 48d8443e35. Installed open-vm-tools, then Napp-it.
Napp-it installs successfully and ZERO errors in POOLS, ZFS FILESYSTEMS and SNAPSHOTS.
Crossed my fingers, pkg update to 49bf4c2bcf and still ZERO TTY perl errors in the menus.

Setup: ESXi 6.0 (5224934) Dual E5520 with 74GB RAM.
Hipster VM, 4vCPU, 64GB RAM. PCI Passthrough LSI2008 IT.

Will continue testing.

Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniOS feels now like an airplane where captain and crew jumped off from now to then. Only passengers left, first class ones and others who where lucky to win a free trip with free lunch and drinks but now no one in sight willing or more propably capable to replace captain and crew and staff to run the airplane as a commercial project.

I have thought a while what to do but it is now clear to me and napp-it that I revert to OpenIndiana as default free napp-it platform. OpenIndiana was already my default years ago when Oracle closed the door and OpenIndiana 151a was more or less the OpenSolaris fork with a lot of old Sun code what slows development and hinders a stable minimal server platform. At that time OmniOS was first thought to be build ontop of OpenIndiana but due its deep interaction with the desktop version the idea of a new minimal free Solaris fork was born at Illumos and for OmniOS. This makes Illumos with OmniOS as a minimal server distribution a more favourable platform for a ZFS server than OpenIndiana.

This is history. OpenIndiana stopped further development of OpenIndiana 151a and switched to pure Illumos under the name OpenIndiana Hipster with a quite large software repository. They are now offering a Illumos distribution as a minimal, a textedition (quite identical to OmniOS) and a version with the Mate GUI.

While there are other free Illumos based options like Xstream and SmartOS, both with a commercial background, OpenIndiana as a real community and OpenSource project for a general use server is the way to go for napp-it from now on as the main platform beside Oracle Solaris, the mother of all.

The king is dead, long live the king OpenIndiana. Work together to make this stronger.
Hope to see the OmniOS goodies there in future (LX, LTS support). Thats how I see it.

btw
There is a new napp-it 17.06 free/Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryM and Patrick

Linda Kateley

Apr 25, 2017
Minnesota
I have not yet seen this

Illumian, the successor of NexentaCore is a dead distribution since 2012
What is illumian? - illumos - illumos wiki

Can you give me the return value of uname -a
as this is used for OS detection
illumian was supposed to be an illumos distro with debian packaging. The only problem with that is that the solaris packaging was invented by ian(of debian). It actually died or was killed by the nexenta developers the day before it launched. Illumian was killed not ian.. well ian was probably killed too, but not by nexenta developers. :)

Reactions: cperalt1