thumb screws for rack ears on supermicro chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm looking for thumbscrews that can be used to secure the rack ears on supermicro chassis to the rack rails so it doesn't slide out. What's the part number and where's a good place to get them?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'd like to know that too. I'm currently using some machine screws that I had lying around.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Which rails do you have? They are usually M5 screws, hard to get these unless you contact supermicro directly, otherwise fleabay will charge arm and a leg.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Wait, are you just want to secure the chassis so you can't pull it out? Any M5 screw will do. Don't most rackers use metric M5 and M6 screws and cage nuts?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Wait, are you just want to secure the chassis so you can't pull it out? Any M5 screw will do. Don't most rackers use metric M5 and M6 screws and cage nuts?
These are for the two M5 thumbscrews with shoulders, used to keep the chassis from sliding out on the rails. As they go under the handles, a regular screw will be problematic to access:

I just modify the Supermicro ears to put the screws in a more useful position:

Lots more info here.