[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eddie Jones

Feb 11, 2017
I bought 3... first delivered Thursday was a Thailand, the 2 delivered Friday were China. All 3 sent from different locations. Almost considering ordering another couple and either get lucky for Thai drives or just have a cold spare. Sadly, there are none available for in-store pickup within 250 miles and shipping is (currently) unavailable. I only have ~7TB of data, so this gives me some redundancy plus a fair amount of room to actually have another place to backup the other computers.

So far I've run the Error Scan in HD Tune on 2, with the 3rd running, though at ~16 hours each the 3rd won't be done until early tomorrow morning. I'm considering doing the UNRAID/preclear thing, but I'm not willing to lose the main desktop to that effort, and the only other computer in the house with USB 3 is my laptop. The old desktop is barely USB 2 so I'm not sure how much slower it would be.

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
All four of mine, in two shipments, were all China.

smartctl doesn't like them when used through the USB hub ... was hoping to be able to do the burn-in without shucking them ...
Anyone know a trick to get it to work ... says that the device doesn't have SMART support.

-mox

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
All four of mine, in two shipments, were all China.

smartctl doesn't like them when used through the USB hub ... was hoping to be able to do the burn-in without shucking them ...
Anyone know a trick to get it to work ... says that the device doesn't have SMART support.

-mox
I had the same issue, smartctl doesn't understand the USB-sata chipset used in these enclosures. I used Crystal disk info instead which seems to work with it.

That said ,these are pretty easy to open without breaking anything if you use the slide out method I posted a video somewhere in this thread. You can then test it directly connected.

Eddie Jones

Feb 11, 2017
As of this morning the 8TB drives are sitting at $229... guess I don't have that chance to grab a couple more. Maybe my wallet will stay happy.

Though if this comes back I might not wait....

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Nice, but pickup only so that this Aussie out :p I ordered 1 from the amazon deal but they don't allow multiple orders.
Hitch a ride to the states and bring a big ass suitcase, we will hook ya up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cadal

hnamanh

Mar 16, 2015
This is interesting but I have 2 brand new drives with multiple damaged blocks. Have anyone experience this?

golfleep

Mar 21, 2017
This is interesting but I have 2 brand new drives with multiple damaged blocks. Have anyone experience this?
Sorry to hear that. My eight drives (5 from Thailand, 3 from China) all passed testing without any bad blocks or other errors detected. I would think you should be able to return them fairly easily, I've personally never had problems return online purchases with Best Buy

hnamanh

Mar 16, 2015
Sorry guys, it was a false alarm. I did 2 more rescans and the damaged blocks didn't show up.

These drives where from China, serial numbers are close, and they were from the same order.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
You all were lucky by the time i saw this instore only and no units for 250 Miles... (Denver/Parker CO Region) *shrug* eh had to get some 8TB ones so i bought on ebay at 256/ea for new 3 yr warranty ones... grant u its no 180+Tax Deal but still i didn't think too bad for Thailand 8TB Drives...

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
finished testing 14 of them and all good so far. mix of china and thailand - haven't noticed any differences other than the print on the label.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I honestly don't need these drives. I have 6TB's in a 48TB array that is not even 1/3 full. I'm trying to justify buying these wonderful things but I don't have a NEED.

UGH.

keybored

May 28, 2016
I honestly don't need these drives. I have 6TB's in a 48TB array that is not even 1/3 full. I'm trying to justify buying these wonderful things but I don't have a NEED.

UGH.
12TB drives are being released now and 16TB drives will be available next year: Seagate Announces Enterprise Capacity 12 TB HDD: 2nd-Gen Helium-Filled Hard Drives
This will put price pressure on 8TB and 10TB models. By the time you actually need to upgrade due to space constraints, $180 might be standard pricing for 8TB models and 10TB drives will be in the low-to-mid $200s.

Reactions: Craash

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016