Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dpante1s

Apr 12, 2011
I just want to run a Xeon E3 on my Asrock P67 Extreme4 without IGP... the Xeon seems interesting to me due to the lower TDP and more cache... At present I run a i5-2500 but do not use the IGP as P67 does not support it... If it would be of importance to me I had to wait until the Z68 will be released...

ACCS

Apr 6, 2011
San Diego
www.accs.com
Does anyone know if 32 GB Ram works with Sandy Bridge?
I've read conflicting information and Transcends tech support wasn't very helpful either.
SB will support 32GB when 8GB UDIMMs are released. Considering that the chips have just reached the "sampling" state, and that the DIMMs haven't, it will be a while before the price approaches reasonable.

Until then, the reasonable limit for SB will be 16GB (4x4GB).

boost

Apr 14, 2011
Thank you for the explanation.
What a shame, I was looking forward to a reasonably priced Sandy Bridge Workstation. The Asus P8B WS was looking really good with dual Intel GB Lan, good Layout and reasonable price.
Guess I'll have to wait for Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge E.

ubiquityman

Mar 18, 2011
I put together my Xeon E3-1240 this week with the ASUS P8B WS. So far, the motherboard works well. If anyone has any questions about the board, let me know. My only complaint thus far are regarding the SATA ports:
1) 6 ports is not enough (I have 4x SSD RAID0 array that I'd like to use, plus 2 HDs, plus 2 optical drives. I'll need to get a PCI SATA card.)
2) the 90' SATA ports are a pain to access for my case. I can't really think of why that would be good for any case.

Immy

Apr 17, 2011
Australia
I am in the process of ordering parts for an intended VMware ESXi 4.1 server for home/test/study.

So far I have started ordering from the USA:

Tyan S5512GM4NR motherboard
Crucial 16G (2x CT2KIT51272BA1339) memory

I haven't decided on a case+PSU yet.
I haven't been able to find any of the E3-12x0 CPUs in Australia yet.
Plenty of listings for E3-12x5 with the GPU that would be a waste.
I checked that the Intel 82574L NICs should work with ESXi.

Does anyone know if the Tyan S5512GM4NR onboard SATA will work with ESXi ?
Has anyone installed ESXi on a C204 based motherboard ?

networkingadmin

Apr 17, 2011
Hello Ubiquityman,
I am delighted to hear that you have successfully built a system with the ASUS P8B WS. I have a question for you regarding your experience with your motherboard. I just purchased the exact same motherboard equipped with Intel Zeon E3-1270 (non gpu version), and I outfitted it with Corsair's newest memory which is Vengeance 2 x 4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B model. I have an aftermarket heatsink, which keeps the zeon at 28c all the time. This is my problem, windows will not install (windows 7 x64 pro), just as the gui is loaded for the install the system shuts down and restarts. I tried everything know when troublshooting a motherboard issue. Asus offers no help. I even purchased another set of modules to see if two of my modules could be defective. No good, still same results. The only thing I have not done is reseat the cpu which i really don't think is the issue since the cpu is being identified correctly in bios. Although my memory has XMP profile on it. The profile cannot be selected in the bios as an option. the memory timings are correct in bios also, 9-9-9-24 @ 1333fsb @ 1.50v. I have done everything right. Should boot right up. Any suggestions? And what type of memory are you using? thank you

Zerosum

Apr 17, 2011
Supermicro
X9SCM and X9SCM-F C204
Pictures and information can be found at this thread by odditory.

X9SCL and X9SCL-F C202
The above is what's listed on SM's site. (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1155) C202 = SCL and C204 = SCM.

But in the manuals they are listed as: (http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C202_C204/MNL-X9SCM_SCL-F.pdf) C202 = X9SCM and C204 = X9SCL.

Listed on page 1-7, Motherboard Features, Chipset. Normally, I would take what's listed on a manufacture's site/manual over a merchant but when both are listed on Supermicro's site.

Should I assume the manual/pdf is incorrect and go by what's listed on the site/here?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would go with what is on Supermicro's site. The X9SCM-F has two SATA III 6.0gbps ports indicating C204.

ubiquityman

Mar 18, 2011
@networkingadmin

I did not install windows from scratch. I took the SSDs in RAID0 out of my previous machine (QX6700 + Gigabyte EX38-DQ6) and moved the drives to the P8B WS. The RAID0 array was Win 7 Pro 64-bit and it was recognized on the P8B without issue. The system booted without me having to do anything. I updated the Intel chipset software after Windows booted up on the new motherboard. I also updated the video drivers because I switched from Nvidia to ATI.

I'm using the 4x4GB Kensington ECC 1333MHz memory with thermal sensor, the non Intel version. (The intel version is only or Intel branded motherboards. All other motherboards using Intel chipsets should use the non-intel version of the memory).

1. Are you using ECC memory?
2. Have you tried running a memory test with a DOS or Unix based program that you can boot off CD?
3. Try connecting your drives to the SATA II connectors instead of the SATA III connectors.
4. Try disabling USB 3 ports if possible (you might be able to do this through BIOS.)
5. What drives do you have connected to it?

Mudhoney

Apr 19, 2011
If anyone with a C202/204/206 motherboard is able to boot a Solaris 11 Live CD to see if it looks like it will work, I'd be much obliged. The Live CD won't touch anything on your hard disks unless you tell it to. If anyone is willing, once it boots could you please open the Driver Utility tool and see if it looks like drivers are found for everything?

I plan to run a NAS/home server based on Xeon E3, preferably one of the low power ones like the 1260L, on this chipset using Solaris 11 and want to know it will work first. Someone at Hard Forums was able to load Solaris on top of EXSi on one of these boards, but that's not quite the same thing.

Thanks,

Mud

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
So far I have started ordering from the USA:

Tyan S5512GM4NR motherboard
I'm currently studying C20x mobos and i'm interested on Tyan S5512 series.

Perhaps was convinced after reading Patrick's review :) ...

There's just one detail i didn't manage to check/confirm. Tyan declares this on all its S5512 mobos :

PCI-E Gen. 2 x16 slot (w/ x8 link) can be x16 link for
customized purpose
What is the exact pci-e cabling ?

While i thought it simply meant that the x16 was a x8 electrical one, i keep hoping that it's electrically x16 and then x8 if another specific slot is used :

Tyan S5512 User Guide
(Block Diagram : page 15)

To continue contradictions, Tyan's datasheet declares :

(1) PCI-E Gen.2 x16 slot (default w/ x8 link)
x8 by default ?? If so, how to switch to x16 ?? (I haven't seen any Bios Option related to it).

So, i'd like to know how S5512 mobos are dispatched electrically considering each slot use.

Perhaps Immy could confirm this behavior on S5512GMxNR boards :)...

Patrick, could you test S5512WGM2NR and report about pci-e cabling ? Does a standalone graphic card is recognized using electrical x16 slot ? And i suppose, it reduces to x8 as soon as a second card has been plugged ton the second pci-e port....

Answers to this post could be suggestions to correct ChiefAJ matrix about S5512 pci-e cabling :) ...

Thank you

Last edited:

ChiefAJ

Apr 7, 2011
Western Australia
While i thought it simply meant that the x16 was a x8 electrical one, i keep hoping that it's electrically x16 and then x8 if another specific slot is used
I think you might be right. The block diagram and wording suggest this. An email to Tyan will get you a definitive answer though.

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
I think you might be right. The block diagram and wording suggest this. An email to Tyan will get you a definitive answer though.
I wrote them an email yesterday : i'll share the answer as soon as i get it :).

Thank you.

rj123456

Apr 21, 2011
Hi Michael, I manage my wife's dental practice and we really need to replace our-long-in-the-tooth P4 server, probably with Xeon e3-1235 and Win 2008 R2. We are running Kodak/Carestream Practiceworks with Kodak KDI Imaging (and legacy Dexis X-rays).

I'm considering the Supermicro X9SCM-F. Though lack of DVI/HDMI capability is an issue as the server is sometimes used as the dentist's workstation. Any recommendations here on compatible memory? I think we should be ok with 2x4G, or max 4x4GB so no need to pay the premium for the as-yet-rare (or nonexistent?) 8GB UDIMMs.

BTW, what did you pay for the Hitachi 3TB drives?

Anyone want to sell me a configured test system (that works!)???

Soxiz

Apr 12, 2011
Hi

I am looking to build a new storage server. My idea was to use a E3-1260L and a C206 motherboard. But so far only the Asus board is out, and it have only 6 sata ports.

I was then wondering if I should go with the S5512WGM2NR, but why do the board uses the C204 and not the C206 when it does have gfx.

Best Regards
Mads

Last edited:

NirXY

Apr 25, 2011
You're welcome.

The ASUS P8B-WS looks interesting but yeah, the no IPMI is a deal breaker.
after a bit of research, I saw that C206 natively supports Intel AMT 7.0 (the only other chipset that supports it is q67), i'm not sure which IPMI features you are interested in, but it should be good enough.
just be aware that KVM over IP would only work with processors with integrated graphics

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
I wrote them an email yesterday : i'll share the answer as soon as i get it :).

Thank you.
Finally, i got Tyan answer :

I am glad to get in contact with you. S5512 is officially launched worldwide including European market. Our European inventory hub is located in Belgium. You may still ask local delivery as well as support from our main distributor ?C ADIMES in France. Mr. Alain Wilmouth is the company owner while you may contact him or Mr. Hamid SRAIDI for help or order placement directly.

About the feature of PCIE x16 on S5512, the default PCIE x16 slot actually performs x8 links only and can NOT be adjusted manually.

According to Intel’s technical data sheets, the chipset C204 (on S5512) can not fully support PCIE x16 with x16 links. We may help modify S5512 to enable PCIE x 16 with full x16 links but it has to be discussed in term of OEM/ODM business model which will require NRE charge and MOQ (minimum order quantity) due to the extra resources and cost. RFQ is welcome to provide to us for study in advance.

Thanks and regards,

Nathalie CHIEN |TBU-MiTAC| * +886 2 2652 5888 ext. 1403 | *+886 912 573 294 | Skype: nathalie911001 | * +886-2-2652-5809 | Address: 5F. Building B., No. 209, Nangang Rd. Sec. 1, Nangang district, Taipei, Taiwan | www.tyan.com
What a pity :/ ...

But are they wrong about C204 features ?

What about X9SCA mobo that purposes full x16 cabling ??

Which one is right/wrong ?

Thank you