Newegg: Refurbished HGST/Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723020ALA641 2TB HD $40 end Thu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
have you bought these before? what are the typical power-on-hours on these? a friend just got some from ebay and they had 48000 hours on them already!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
have you bought these before? what are the typical power-on-hours on these? a friend just got some from ebay and they had 48000 hours on them already!
5.5 years :-O
Who keeps any enterprise disk array running that long ?? (The maintenance costs after year 4 must have been crippling!)

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I bought some on ebay. The range was all over the place, 30k-45k hours. At $40/ea, I'm not sure I'd go for it. Mine were about $30/ea. However, these are built pretty well and likely have a few years left in them, particularly if kept reasonably cool and not power cycled too much. Thoroughly test them, and if they pass, they are likely good for a while. I had one DOA, the seller refunded me, the others all worked great and are still in my main array.

I do think ebay should require them to label them as "used", they are not refurbished in any reasonable sense of the word.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I bought some on ebay. The range was all over the place, 30k-45k hours. At $40/ea, I'm not sure I'd go for it. Mine were about $30/ea. However, these are built pretty well and likely have a few years left in them, particularly if kept reasonably cool and not power cycled too much. Thoroughly test them, and if they pass, they are likely good for a while. I had one DOA, the seller refunded me, the others all worked great and are still in my main array.

I do think ebay should require them to label them as "used", they are not refurbished in any reasonable sense of the word.
in the particular case of my friend who bought 2TB HGST drives off ebay, the seller refused to say how many power on hours were on the drives too. personally, i would not have bought, but he did anyway and hoped for the best and got 48K hours. He bought 3, 1 was DOA.

I would not buy from anyone who won't give me a ballpark figure on Power-On hours if buying used.

And yeah, I agree... should be listed as used.

RAINMAN

Mar 5, 2016
hehe, the oldest drive in my array is a ST2000DL003. Clocking in at 8.3 years (72437 (8y, 3m, 6d, 5h)) of powerup time. Who says seagates aren't reliable? 5years. Thats a baby

Reactions: Cybertron

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
A more practical me might think that 24 2TB in a zfs array in an sc846 would be a practical solution compared to SAS2 and 4 or 8TB drives but I lack an appropriate sense of reason when it comes to my dungeon lab.

Reactions: Fritz

SirCrest

Sep 5, 2016
Texas
I'm jump on this but still waiting on a refund for some other ebay hitachi's. But I bought 5 of these early last year all had like 18k+ hours and all were fine. Still working good in my server. Would buy more from newegg again due to their packaging.

GoHardDrive has a similar deal, but on the 32mb cache variant. But comes with a 1yr warranty. Their packaging is just as good from my purchase from them. If you don't need the 64mb cache the extra replacement warranty is worth it IMO. Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB HUA722020ALA331 2TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I have 8 Hitachi drives that have been on for 6.6 years. A couple of them have had 1 disconnect in their entire life. If I didnt just buy 6 8TB drives, I probably would pickup a bunch of these or 3TB... seems like the best bang for buck.

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
I bought 8 of these from a different seller last year. I returned one drive within the return period for a refund and somehow the other seven are no longer recognized by any of my systems... I am not sure what happened.

I used these in a Drobo NAS for two months before pulling them out and putting them in a RAID 5 array in a Promise DAS I got as a freebie from a user on Reddit. They worked fine in this configuration but the controller on this SAS 1 DAS was a little slow.

Ever since I removed them from the enclosure they are no longer addressable when installed in any other system. I even tried putting one of these drives in a USB 2.0 HDD docking station to wipe it and HDDSentinel crashes as soon as I initiate the destructive surface test.

I also tried installing these drives in an Intel S2600CP-based system and the integrated controller thinks that these drives are encrypted. I have never seen something like this before.

Should I hook the Promise DAS back up and see if they are recognized there? I did not see any options for drive encryption in the web interface, nor did I see any mention of this when reading the manual.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
You can still find the A7K2000's for sale on Ebay for $29.99 (at least while that one seller has them). I've found these to be very reliable if a bit hot and loud. I'm not sure if saving $10 over a 7K3000 is worth it (from what I understand the differences are 32MB/64MB, 3G/6G and 5*400GB platters vs 4*500GB platters.