[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
High strangeness. Mine shipped from the local BB store. Went to Jacksonville Florida and Back here. They're out for delivery so I'll have them shortly, lol.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Same for me .
My local store is 3 miles from home, BB shipped via UPS, traveled 35 miles to a UPS distribution center, extra 70 miles round trip.

But during the time of my ordering, local BB have no stock for pickup in store.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Same here, I got 3 of my 6 today. It almost seems like they are trying super hard to be rid of these.

Just curious, are you guys seeing "china" or "thailand" on the outside shell? or is that not representative of the drive inside?

Last edited:

hnamanh

Mar 16, 2015
I got all 12 in today by UPS. 6 were from Houston, 3 from Dallas, and 3 from Lafayette.

I'm going to try and shuck them now.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I got all 12 in today by UPS. 6 were from Houston, 3 from Dallas, and 3 from Lafayette.

I'm going to try and shuck them now.
Happy shuckin!! I have yet to get one apart without breaking atleast two tabs.

I've been doing two per day as they finish testing. Got 6 done, 5 more ready to test, 6 more coming. I believe I bought enough now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I'm just using Stablebit scanner on my windows machine to test them in their enclosure doing a full surface scan. Takes maybe 18-20 hours. I then break them open and put them into my unRAID array.

hnamanh

Mar 16, 2015
Happy shuckin!! I have yet to get one apart without breaking atleast two tabs.

I've been doing two per day as they finish testing. Got 6 done, 5 more ready to test, 6 more coming. I believe I bought enough now :)

What tool are you using to test these drives?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I just shucked my first one without breaking a single tab. :)
Mine just didn't want to come loose. I figure I bought enough of them to self insure based on price. But if one dies you can bet your ass I'll try to get it replaced under warranty.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Don't have to shuck mine. They're for archive purposes. They'll be sitting in a safe waiting for a fire that I hope will never happen. :)

formgen

Feb 27, 2017
On the 9 I opened, 6 said Thailand on the actual cardboard box and that was what was on the white label reds inside, 3 said China on box and that was what was on the drive itself

golfleep

Mar 21, 2017
On the 9 I opened, 6 said Thailand on the actual cardboard box and that was what was on the white label reds inside, 3 said China on box and that was what was on the drive itself

Likewise, on the four (out of eight) that I have received so far, the serial number and manufacture location on the box has always matched the info on the bare hard drive once shucked.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I may have been lucky but my first 11 were Thailand. Hoping my other 6 are as well. I know some of us are banking on Thailand drives but watch the china ones will outlast us all!

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
If I get any China drives, I'll probably just RMA them in a year :p

But for shucking purposes, I used this video here and I was able to open my very first drive without breaking a single tab. Seems easy enough.

formgen

Feb 27, 2017
Are the China ones really going to die faster than Thailand ones or have proven higher fail rates?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Are the China ones really going to die faster than Thailand ones or have proven higher fail rates?

Not as I have heard anything, all speculation and assumption based on the fact Thailand has been the manufacturing hub for years and is reliable.

It's like Cisco SFP, Malaysia, China, USA I have seen as manufacturing location for a single type, each person may have ideas what is better. May also make no actual difference, I am sure the companies know in great detail failure rates of different plants and respond accordingly.