10GBe vs 40GB infiniband eob?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
10g copper or 10g Fiber, that alone makes a big difference in latency, Fiber being better.
But to answer the question, infiniband is of course better but not nearly as flexible.

Reactions: i386

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
Infiniband is nice if you can use any of the RDMA protocols, otherwise it is a mixed bag - IPoIB can be a bit of a pain performance wise. Even getting IPoIB to 10G ethernet-like throughput isn't always possible.

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
10g copper or 10g Fiber, that alone makes a big difference in latency, Fiber being better.
DAC (copper) is considered lower latency than fiber. Electric/optical conversions arent free. 10Gbase-T however loses out due to the way it encodes frames onto the wire. Overall though your other stuff probably adds so much latency that this will not matter at all.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
DAC (copper) is considered lower latency than fiber. Electric/optical conversions arent free. 10Gbase-T however loses out due to the way it encodes frames onto the wire. Overall though your other stuff probably adds so much latency that this will not matter at all.
Yes DAC would be faster I guess but I don't have the figures.
You would be surprised, in commercial IT things like communication between DB and APP (e.g. SAP) I have seen actual noticeable differences between fiber and rj45 copper.

In trading platforms and some HPC etc it's and even bigger affect. In your home lab you will
Never notice (except less heat and power consumption with the SFP+ format 10g adapters)