X540-T2 (RJ45) bypass adapters- genuine- ebay priced at 150 (BO lower)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Not sure if thus is an awesome deal or not, but *I* was happy to run across these! Roughly 400 qty available across two listings.

The best part-- coming from OEMXS, we know 100% that they're genuine. (I got burned on an amazon fake (non-bypass), so I'm glad to have a source I can trust.) Come to think about it, not sure I have ever seen a suspect version of the bypass version...

Out favorite eBay seller has them listed for $150, but countered a lowball BO offer with 3@$135. I did not try to negotiate lower- The last time I needed something, they worked their butts off to help me-- so I was happy to pay the $135.

Apologies in advance if this isn't a great desl, but as I said, *I* thought it was a pretty good deal.

Intel X540T2BP Ethernet Server Bypass Adapter NEW BULK PACKAGING | eBay

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
I'm tempted. What's the big different between X540-T2 and X550-T2y? Other than PCIe 8 vs. PCI 2.1 and maybe some power saving differences I can't tell the difference. Does anybody know?

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
All-
Got my three from Oemxs- BUT- it appears the bypass adapter drivers are NOT available on Intel's site-- rather, it seems like a "contact us, sign an NDA, and then we'll consider giving it to you, based on all I can find.

Problem is, there is no clear "us" defined-- and my three phone calls so far have resulted in transfers to more folks-- none of them have a clue where to send me.

**Problem is, the card defaults to bypass only, and the 10gb NIC doesn't come into play until drivers are loaded... The drivers I cannot get.

Using some info I found after searching:
1) there is an Intel contact that admits to being the driver writer-- but tells the end user to call in, essentially that he's got no way to supply them to the user.
1a) Last I heard, premium support level *may* have it, but I don't qualify. (Am going to reach out to Kalley and see if they have an inside track--esp since they have a couple hundred to sell... And will have a lot of annoyed customers at this rate, if they sell and cannot get drivers of any sort.
2) I found an OEM that offers drivers to a similar card, but not ID'd in the driver package by PCI ID-- and only for "Windows 2003" and "Windows 2008". (I had been planning to use in Windows-- but the offer a few other min-windows options-- wondering if I can get the NIC setting "turned on" and then switch to Windows?
2a) going to play with the older drivers I found and see if I can cobble something together.
3) Bypass DOES appear to work by default-- so it's effectively a 2 port switch.)

I am really disappointed in all the Intel handoffs, but am not giving up-- but thought that since I posted the deal here, I should warn folks that drivers are not readily available from Intel-- and as far as I can tell, no way to start the NIC function without them.

Given the time wasted on this so far-- I may be forced to give up. Not yet tho!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I mean it's listed as a bypass adapter, I feel like the product name speaks for itself regarding what you should expect functionality wise when you get it. You just said it works as a bypass adapter by default...right?

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Actually, I understand exactly what a bypass adapter is, and they are exactly what I had in mind/wanted to use, for several very specific reasons.

However, it only does the bypass part, and cannot do the NIC part without drivers-- that are NOt freely available. I wouldn't have posted here at al, about it, had I known the drivers are/were restricted-- but since I did, I felt like if others ran into what I've run into, that I would be responsible for not calling it out.

In other words, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else wasting their time and money-- but honestly, I think it's ridiculous that Intel has loads of collateral that explain what they do and how (makes for a great use case for what I wanted to do)-- but then after purchase-- no CD driver is in the box, and you have to know a secret handshake of some sort (LOL!) to get access to the drivers. (There is actually a note in the box that says something like "to avoid waste, no driver CD is included anymore".)

Had I known this when I bought-- I still would have bought-- but I would not have posted it here as a deal.

*edited to correct a typo*

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am intrigued at this product.. how does the bypass work for copper cards ?
I know how it works for Fiber cards but I can't really get my head around how they handle the bypass on a copper platform. (At least without power anyway)

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I am intrigued at this product.. how does the bypass work for copper cards ?
I know how it works for Fiber cards but I can't really get my head around how they handle the bypass on a copper platform. (At least without power anyway)
The 8 little boxes on the left side of the card by the ports are relays. Without power to them they default into letting the pin on port 1 be physically connected to the same pin on port 2 via the relay.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The 8 little boxes on the left side of the card by the ports are relays. Without power to them they default into letting the pin on port 1 be physically connected to the same pin on port 2 via the relay.
Ok makes sense, sort of what I was thinking, thought those little boxes looked like the power delivery for the card and did not really think they would be relays.
Well hope you get some Drivers ! I would also be interested to play with a card but no Drivers no point really.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
All- the connections CD does NOT have the drivers.

I was able to reach the intel engineer that worked on the linux drivers originally, and he's trying to connect me with the right folks. Unclear on NDA need still, but I am not concerned there. Will let you guys know how it turns out. Honestly, they seem like they are trying to help get them to me, as long as they can figure out the process. (But I think internal process is unclear...)

Interesting point re: the relays. I had't connected all the dots around the components. I'm not sure I'd want to try a hardware "fix" (lol! I know you were not suggesting!), but that makes perfect sense.

If it turns out the drivers are unrestricted, thus might be a nice solution if you have the right use in mind, or simply want to chain together via Cat6.

Will let you know what happens--- going to give them a little time to figure things out--- but I definitely get the impression they want to help out. (I hope so-- the card seems ideal forcwhat I am trying to di!)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I assume the card was not an open compute type card , any idea was it intel only or was it made for a. HPE or dell etc ? Maybe they have drivers is all
I was thinking and maybe they are easier to obtain.