10GBase-T switch for xeon-d home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

etfeet

Oct 21, 2015
I'm looking for a Managed 10GBase-T switch to use with some xeon d nodes I'm getting for my home lab to setup a ceph cluster. Preferable something with a cli that's not too loud for a home lab.

I found the following switches:

Cisco SG350XG-2F10: 12x 10Gbase-t + 2x 10G SFP
Netgear XS708T-100NES ( 8 port)
Netgear XS716T-100NES ( 16 port)

Anyone have any experience with these switches? How loud are they? I would prefer the cisco switch but I don't want something that's going to be too loud. Are there any other switches that I should take a look at?

Thanks,

Rory

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Why do you need 10GBase-T switch? Normally 10GBase-T port switch is more expensive, and it is not very reliable.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ceph cluster !
Storage across Ethernet needs more than 1G to be fast !
Also what is wrong with 10G copper ? I mean I would not use it beyond 10m length and I do prefer the handling of fiber or DAC but have hundred of servers using 10G copper to top of rack without any issues at all.

(Many reason to choose fiber or DAC like less power usage etc, but greater reliability at least over short distances is as far as I know and in my experience not an issue)

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Recently, 10GBASE-T cooper modules have been released by several vendors to support 10G copper networks. You can also think about it. And for home lab, NIC cards is also feasible and quite cheap.