Fiber question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
I just pulled some old gigabit SFP modules from an old Netgear gigabit switch I no longer need fiber on. I used it years ago to experiment with fiber, some various switch types, and stuff of that nature when I was just starting college.

The modules are some Finsar brand 850nm and can't find much else about them. The cable I was using was just some short 2 meter LC-SC 62.5/125 cables.

Should these modules work without a hitch with 100 meter 50/125 OM-3 cable or are SFPs either 62.5 or 50?

Basically, I want to do a trial-run of how I'm going to run the cable through our rental house (so no holes in walls or floors) without spending a ton on any more 10Gbit stuff just yet so I want to know if I can use these 1Gbit SFPs with my current switches (Netgear) and this 10Gbit-capable cable.

AhsanRaza

Mar 31, 2017
Pakistan
www.listsplash.com
I just pulled some old gigabit SFP modules from an old Netgear gigabit switch I no longer need fiber on. I used it years ago to experiment with fiber, some various switch types, and stuff of that nature when I was just starting college.

The modules are some Finsar brand 850nm and can't find much else about them. The cable I was using was just some short 2 meter LC-SC 62.5/125 cables.

Should these modules work without a hitch with 100 meter 50/125 OM-3 cable or are SFPs either 62.5 or 50?

Basically, I want to do a trial-run of how I'm going to run the cable through our rental house (so no holes in walls or floors) without spending a ton on any more 10Gbit stuff just yet so I want to know if I can use these 1Gbit SFPs with my current switches (Netgear) and this 10Gbit-capable cable.
Yeah, should work on multimode.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014

Finsar brand 850nm refers to the multimode SFPs as it often uses the 850nm laser. As for multimode cables, there are two different core size—62.5 and 50. Multimode SFPs work well with multimode fibers in despite of OM1, OM2, OM3 or OM4.

As for the final question, it depends on the compatibility of the switch and SFPs. You can have a try, it won't hurt the card, if it didn't work out, you can buy the cheap SFPs from fs.com for only $6.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Thank you folks for the responses. I purchased the 100m 50/125 MM fiber cable. It arrives tomorrow and I'll give it the old college try.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
My 100m cable arrived yesterday. I did a test run to the switch upstairs and all works well at gigabit speeds using the SFP modules I had borrowed from elsewhere.

I just ordered 2 AX743 modules for my Netgear GS7328Sv2, 2 more ConnectX-2 cards, and 2 10GBASE-SX modules. One will be going in my pfSense box in the rack and the other will be going in my desktop PC where the OC3 will connect.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
You gotta have a decent internet connection needing 10g to the pfsense box :)

Good thing it worked as expected. Fiber is a jungle if you havent worked with it before.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
No, sadly nothing special with our internet. The pfsense box does inter-VLAN routing and having everything trunked on a single 10G link is better than 3x 1G links, I would imagine.