M

Dell C6220 BIOS|ME|BMC Update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Michael Biglen

Aug 16, 2016
Frderick, CO
Reactions: tjk and Patrick

Rob Rhodes

Jan 5, 2017
Hello Michael, I have just bought a second hand C6220 and it has the original bios so I have followed your guide to update it. However I am no expert in DOS. I cant get your first command to register C:\bios\bios.exe it just comes back as invalid command. I would imagine that C: points to the local hard drive rather than the USB? Is there a way to find the USB drive letter name? There is a usb shown in the boot options and then that disappears if I boot without the usb in so im assuming it recognises it and I used Rufus as instructed to format the drive first. Are you able to help? Thanks

Rob Rhodes

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for your help Michael. Do you think this is the likely problem here? Is there a way to tell that its trying to read the USB or is the only test to take out all the HDDs and then just type dir and hope it lists the files on the USB?

The command prompt starts with C:\> so should it just read C:\>bios\bios.exe or C:\> C:bios\bios.exe ? Sorry for the very entry level questions! The link you provided downloads a .exe zip file, am I just to rename this file to bios.exe and place it in the bios folder on the USB? When I extract it I cant see any .exe files in there so im assuming its just the full downloaded zip. For the other two downloads I have extracted them and coppied the parts into folders as you have instructed so I'm hoping they will work.

Many thanks again for your help

Michael Biglen

Aug 16, 2016
Frderick, CO
The BIOS exe, named "PEC6220IIBIOS020503.exe", file is a self extracting zip file.
When you run it from your Windows Desktop it should ask you where you want it extracted.
If you are using a non-Windows system you should be albe to open it with a archival program and extract it where you want to.
I just copy all the contents to the FreeDOS boot-able USB drive.

Rob Rhodes

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for your help on this. Actually in the end I tried installing a copy of win 7 on the unit and that installed fine. From there I was able to apply the Dell bios exe in windows and that updated it OK. Im now going to try installing windows 10. Thanks again

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
What do you mean by FBC?

About the procedure, i just upgraded 3 nodes without the need to do multiple reboots, i was able to flash the BMC directly to 2.53 then the BIOS to 2.7.1 without having to reboot in between, i also did the FCB on one of the nodes as the fans were kept at full speed, i also did flash the FCB on another chassis from a running Linux and a shutdown/reboot wasnt needed for the fans to slow down, which was a nice surprise to me.

If anyone wants, i can share my 64Mb Freedos floppy image that can be booted from PXE to do all this.

Reactions: Evan

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
2.6.0 => 2.7.1
- Updated Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 V2 product family microcode to 428.
- Updated Intel chipset configuration compliant BIOS specification Updates Rev 2.0.8.

2.5.3 => 2.6.0
-Corrected an issue where system cannot initialize the option ROM of LSI 2008 RAID card when the Intel NIC card is installed.

As its only proposed for C6220 II on the Dell website, i assume that these changes/fix are only useful on C6220 II but i havent got any issues running this bios on multiple non II nodes.