New LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 9285-8e with CacheCade Pro 2.0/Fastpath

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
do you not find it odd he has more than 1 account and comes up with activated cards randomly but never reliably?

What are the transfer limits on the cards you received? I believe you get for software activated. Of course hardware can be transferred endlessly.

just curious. I can understand folks gotta hussle but when cachecade 3 comes out will you be able to upgrade?

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
I know he buys Intel, IBM and LSI controllers on eBay and enables the advanced features (software) on all of them and resells them back. I highly doubt that the license is legit but the controllers seem to be. Still a good price.

allban

Jan 12, 2013
I snag:ed one of em. That M5000 performance key never came at a decent price so this was pretty good. And as mobilnvidia have bought of him before that was a great plus.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
yeah i suppose you could just set a megascu.exe command line loose on the device and generate keys endlessly.

Out of market (grey) would expect zero technical support. Buy in USA, warranted in USA. Buy in Canada, warranted in Canada?

Ask him if he does requests. His cards are odd.

We wanted 9271-8i and 9266-8i (the 9285/9265 had a fatal bug that only affects rare raid-setups).

The M5000 performance key - mind you includes everyting. Cachecade 2.0, fastpath, SED, Snapshots. OEM's cannot use ELF key of that generation. Only the newer M5016 etc can do ELF [ibm term FOD] keys.

If you guys ever wonder, the lsi that are sold by HP are LSI brand. I have a 9260-8i, and it uses the LSI $50 cachecade 1/fastpath key off ebay.

The LSI is unique - they let you mix SAS and SSD in a single VD. Everyone else turns that off. Mixing SAS and SATA on the same wire reduces the SAS voltage to be compatible but say if you wanted to rock some SATA drives on connector 1 [4tb RE4] and SAS 4tb RE4 on connector 2, you could enjoy the benefits of both without any degradation of sas or latency of sas expanders.

You can literally do an in place upgrade from 146gb SAS drives to 256gb SATA SSD, one drive at a time without downtime.. most people would call it insane!

if anyone has any keys or can find refurbed 81y4426 for m5014/m5015 - please PM me. I'll buy. ibm is OEM 9.

Check out the 71605e Adaptec, it is a badass little card for the money. You can do JBOD (no RIS) and raid at the same time and it comes with 16 ports per card which for about $375 RAID or $275 HBA(no boot/no raid). The Raid model again, can do JBOD and RAID at the same time. This is really slick. they have a q version with maxcache (same as cachecade 2 except multi-terabytes of ssd to front).

What i want: SSD caching. SLC -> MLC -> TLC -> SAS -> SATA tiering software to keep to keep the hot mess of writes to the wearable but small ssd (SLC) , then organized hot write cache (1-2TB), then READ only cache (TLC 1-8TB) then SAS drives and SATA drives for core storage.

darwinmak

Feb 24, 2013
Looks like only mrkrad is having problem with great deals. I would rather pay half and get another SSD.
I really would say it is insane to mix SAS with SATA. Why you would do a in place upgrade but not build a new array. You lose performance and redundancy during the upgrade

darwinmak

Feb 24, 2013
And just FYI too, I don't think those $50 CacheCade 1 key off eBay is legit too. These hardware keys should be destoryed after free upgrade to CacheCade Pro 2.0 from LSI.