Win10 Storage Spaces - Is it that bad?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DieHarke

Mar 16, 2017
Regarding the filesystem for a parity space:
I guess ReFs is now supported for a parity space since cesmith9999 mentioned it? Do you see any cons in using ReFs instead of NTFS? Additionally I cannot really find any information for the read cache.

But I have seen people reporting of missing trim support, when using refs. Is that true?

@cesmith9999 for my scenario should I leave the journal size at 32mb, if it is even adjustable?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Journal size is not adjustable to my knowledge. this is where you look at PigLovers thread about creating an SSD/Parity Storage Spaces configuration.

ReFS has supported parity from the beginning.

I do not know about losing trim support. however for a SLAB in the VDisk to be reclaimed(read trimed), all data must be off of that slab to be reclaimed. So what they may be miss interpreting is that they are not getting reclaimed because not all of the data is off that particular SLAB set (across all of the respective disks in the vdisk). and Defrag is not an option to my knowledge. you may want to check this out Comparison of defragmentation software - Wikipedia. run a few tests to see if that will trim your vdisks.

Chris

DieHarke

Mar 16, 2017
Okay I got the third SSD and wanted to create a testpool with 3 ssds and three old 512gb spinners.

The command
get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "StoragePool0" | Get-PhysicalDisk | ft FriendlyName, SerialNumber, MediaType
showed:

FriendlyName SerialNumber MediaType
------------
ATA Samsung SSD 850 S2R6NB0HC27909Z SSD
ATA SAMSUNG HD502HJ S20BJ90B690862 HDD
ATA Samsung SSD 850 S21PNSAG776420V SSD
ATA Samsung SSD 850 S21PNSAG203881E SSD
ATA SAMSUNG HD501LJ S0UQJ1DP901935 HDD
ATA SAMSUNG HD502HJ S20BJ90B690863 HDD

Sadly when I try to configure a tiered parity space there is not such option "parity" in the gui. Also the creation via powershell gives an error.

$ssd_Tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName $PoolName -FriendlyName "SSD_Tier" -MediaType "SSD"
$hdd_Tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName $PoolName -FriendlyName "HDD_Tier" -MediaType "HDD"
New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName $PoolName -FriendlyName $VDiskName -StorageTiers $ssd_Tier,$hdd_Tier -StorageTierSizes 50,250 -PhysicalDiskRedundancy 1 -ResiliencySettingName "Parity" -ProvisioningType "fixed" -WriteCacheSize 25

gives me just this:

FriendlyName ResiliencySettingName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsManualAttach Size
------------ --------------------- ----------------- ------------ -------------- ----
VirtualDisk0 OK Healthy False 1 GB

there is no Resiliency ...

Do you maybe know what I am doing wrong?

DieHarke

Mar 16, 2017
Okay I tried to setup a tiered parity pool with virtual disks on a different machine now (under WS16 Standard). But sadly I ran into the same problems. It looks like it is simply not supported.

@cesmith9999 do you maybe know a source where someone has successfully deployed a tiered parity pool? I think that I cannot figure the right powershell commands out myself.

Last edited:

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I have this running at home. but I am moving to a new house this week. and I have shutdown the servers for transport.

I will try to get the settings I used next week for you. but no promises. lots to unpack

Chris

DieHarke

Mar 16, 2017
Just a quick bump as a reminder for my stated problem on how to setup a tiered parity storage space via powershell.

@cesmith9999 I already purchased 6 spinners now, so that I would want to setup my final storage space configuration directly. I think that would also save me from some hassle regarding the pool expansion.
And don't treat that post as a rush for you. Only as a reminder.

xRadeon

Jun 29, 2017
Just a quick bump as a reminder for my stated problem on how to setup a tiered parity storage space via powershell.

@cesmith9999 I already purchased 6 spinners now, so that I would want to setup my final storage space configuration directly. I think that would also save me from some hassle regarding the pool expansion.
And don't treat that post as a rush for you. Only as a reminder.

You cannot create a Parity disk with a tier. Tiering is only supported in Mirror deployments.