Latest build - Trying S2600CP2J, will document build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Oh, I also specifically reset my BIOS to default. Depending on what data center they come out of, they can have some weird settings. But then there were other settings I had to figure out. There is a thread in the motherboard section of this forum about getting a 1070 to work with S2600CP and some of replies near the end talk about some of the BIOS that helped. The 1070 didn't end up working reliably, but a 950 works like a champ.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
MikeK - I also reset to defaults when I updated the BIOS and related firmware for the same reason. No telling where the board came from, their environment, nor their data center standards.

Disabling the fans (except the CPU fans) to prevent the panic mode might be the solution to those who are reporting their inability to slow their CPU fans on the variations of this MB. Just disable all the case fans and give it a try. Pretty much zero risk. What would be the downside?

BTW, I found a VERY SHORT GTX 750 Ti that I installed last night that's doing just fine. There were a few unexpected changes to operation after the BIOS update. More about video operation in a later post.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Update on "fan panic" -

Tried more FRUSDR settings. It seems the S2600CP2J does NOT like the Enthoo Pro fan controller. When it was removed from a SDR defined fan header, the CPU fans operated slowly and not like an aircraft carrier take-off.

So the stock fans (3-pin non-PMW) for the Enthoo Pro work fine, but the controller and the S2600CP2J don't play well together. According to HWiNFO64, everything is running cool. And quiet.

Reactions: Logan and waspsoton

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the update. Good to keep in mind for other cases, too -- it's an easy enough fix to try.

djstrauss

Jul 29, 2015
Nice to see this post about getting a new build out off s2600cp2j board.
I already bought 2 x e5-2665 xeons (match pair) out off the bay.
I'm planning on buying this motherboard, but I have no clue about getting it working with a GTX 1080 FTW.

Is there any special configuration, besides what i saw on other posts about weird behavior with a 1070?

I plan on putting 64gb 8x8gb pc3l 12800 1.35v Samsung branded memory. Is there any complain about using this type of memory?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I'm using a very small 950TI and it fits fine of the long PCIe slot. Others seem to be using the short open-ended slots.

IMO, care needs to be taken to determine which open slot is better since they are on different CPUs. It appears that CPU1 handles I/O and OS tasks while CPU2 handles applications. But I can't be sure. Not sure where that video card should be placed.

Can't comment on 1.35v memory.