HP MSL2024 Tape library firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

morpheus256

Mar 21, 2012
Hey!

Just picked up a sweet deal on a HP Tape library. LTO4 Fiberchannel for $5 :) while LTO4 isn't bad, 20TB of backup capacity isn't the best and LTO5 drives are coming down in price the problem is with HP and firmware files, something they used to give away for free now requires a support contract. Anyone able to help with a newer firmware from 4.40 to support newer drives? Here's a list of the firmware files that used to be available
Index of ftp://g6u0081c.atlanta.hp.com/ftp1/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/firmware/

Thanks
Dave

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Just picked up a sweet deal on a HP Tape library. LTO4 Fiberchannel for $5 :) while LTO4 isn't bad, 20TB of backup capacity isn't the best and LTO5 drives are coming down in price the problem is with HP and firmware files, something they used to give away for free now requires a support contract. Anyone able to help with a newer firmware from 4.40 to support newer drives?
That looks like a "badge engineered" IBM TS3100. Also sold as the Dell TL2000, Overland NEO, and others. The latest firmware seems to be E.30/3.20e (chassis), 0.80 (bootcode), and CSE600 (barcode reader). Those are IBM-ish numbers - as part of the customization, an OEM may require different firmware numbers. These are usually OEM-locked to a greater or lesser degree. IBM tape drives will have a firmware filename like LTO5_G9N1.fcp_hh.ro. The LTO5 is obvious, G9N1 is the firmware revision, fcp = fiber channel (sas = SAS), hh means a half-height drive and .ro or .frmz is the firmware extension. If the filename has something between hh and .ro or .frmz, like LTO4_G361.sas_hh_d.ro, that is OEM firmware (d = Dell). If the chassis uses non-IBM drives, all bets are off regarding drive firmware.
Careful with that link, Eugene.. That link degenerated into a pop-up "'lonely' Russian women want to meet you" and so on scam.

morpheus256

Mar 21, 2012
Correct, same chassis used by many vendors, quantum overland, dell, ibm etc. same physical controller but a checksum to prevent others firmware from going on. the HP firmwares are MSL2024_6.20.frm for example. any and all firmwares over 4.40 will be greatly appreciated :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Correct, same chassis used by many vendors, quantum overland, dell, ibm etc. same physical controller but a checksum to prevent others firmware from going on.
I don't know about the chassis, but I do know that library drives that Overland sells aren't locked - they use generic IBM firmware. This is actually a minor PITA for me because I got a NIB Overland LTO6 library drive for $795 and put it in my Dell-branded library. I have to wait a little bit after Dell releases new library/drive firmware before the generic IBM drive firmware shows up on the Overland FTP site.

Back to your chassis question - I have no idea if this will work (or cause a problem that isn't easy to correct), but you can find the Dell version of the library controller card all over eBay (part numbers 73Y16, MU355) very inexpensively (the first 5 listings were under $20 each). When you change that card in a Dell library, the front panel asks you if you want to use the settings from the library or the settings from the new controller card. This might let you change the brand of your library from HP to Dell. That doesn't help with the drive(s), though.

A while ago there was a blowout on IBM-refurbed Dell TL4000 chassis only (1 power supply, no drives, but with magazines and rack rails) for $275. I got 3 of 'em and they all appeared brand new. Every once in a while something low-priced comes along - this [real link, all others are auto-inserted advertising] is a Dell TL4000 w/ dual power and 2 LTO3 SAS drives for $375 OBO w/ free shipping.