Hardware reset or Password recovery... Sun QDR Infiniband Gateway Switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Al Corda

Mar 24, 2017
I'm hoping someone here has an idea as to how to solve this.
I picked up a Sun/Oracle QDR Infiniband Gateway switch off of ebay... good condition, powers up, etc.
I connected a laptop/term. emulator to the USB port via a USB /serial dongle, and I can monitor the
boot process. I tried logging in via this serial port connection... unfortunately, the default passwords as listed in the Sun documentation don't work... the previous owner has changed them.

I've gone through all the documentation on Sun's web site (and did a number of general web searches), but there doesn't seem to be any information on how to perform a factory reset or password recovery that I can find.

I was hoping that during the boot process there would be a chance to boot in single-user mode or do a reset, but unfortunately, all I see come up during a boot is an initial option to log through the "Sun Data Center Switch pre-boot environment", which posts a login prompt "(none) Login:" . I tried the usual (root/admin, root/password) as well as the sun default passwords, but none of them work. After a timeout, it re-prompts with a CentOS login prompt. Again, the defaults don't work.

Anyone have any idea as to how to reset this critter to the default passwords? Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, this unit seems to be almost identical to the Sun IB Switch 36, so if someone knows how to reset one of those, it might work with this.

-thanks!-

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
do you have an Oracle support account? if so have you searched there?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is there a reset pin? Not sure how close they are to Mellanox IB GWs but if they are similar a long (15s) press of the reset pin might help with the admin pw.

Al Corda

Mar 24, 2017
do you have an Oracle support account? if so have you searched there?
Thanks for your suggestion! I posted this same question of the Oracle Community Forum, but haven't received any replies yet. I'm using this switch for a home networking/AI project, so I can't really afford to sign up for an Oracle support account, and I didn't see any way on the Sun/Oracle support website to ask a simple "non-billable" technical question. If you know of another way(or a contact at Oracle) to get them to answer a simple technical question (either by email or phone) without costing a bundle, please let me know!

Al Corda

Mar 24, 2017
Is there a reset pin? Not sure how close they are to Mellanox IB GWs but if they are similar a long (15s) press of the reset pin might help with the admin pw.
I've looked for a reset pin or switch on the front and back bezels (none found), and I've taken the top cover off the chassis to look, but there doesn't seem to be any motherboard switches or buttons present. I did find a Coin-cell battery and a small 10-pin header (labeled J1101), but no hint of what it was for (jumper block? cable attachment? etc.)
The documentation indicates that if I remove the battery I'll have to reset the time and date, but no mention of it affecting the password status. I may try it anyway, though.

Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated! I'm pulling my hair out over this (not that I have much left, anyway :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Can you post a few pics or provide a link to some? Maybe someone here can see something helpful

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I'm away from work for a week. If you had no luck in a week PM me and I'll see what I can dig out of Oracle.