4U Supermicro 45 Bay SAS SATA JBOD Storage Expander $595 or BO $525

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
after thinking a while i got it for $525 + shipment and vat. it takes me roundabout 700€.

its still a good deal.

Reactions: T_Minus

DaveP

Jul 30, 2016
Dang, that's a good deal. The sound from it is probably not wife friendly or I'd probably go for one too.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
as @qulix said these are ridiculously loud especially without the SQ PSUs. Also just a heads up some IT recycler in Tampa flooded the market with these like 4-5 months ago at like $250-300 shipped. They had like QTY x 30 or something.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I need to find me another 847 with 36x setup so I can use it with a mobo!!
Hoping we see those cheap ones again!!

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
They are actually not all that loud depending on what fans and PSUs they have in them - the stock 1400W gold PSUs are not bad noise-wise, but depending on how the fans are wired, they may run at full speed. I believe the "no fan" mfg firmware files for the backplanes have something to do with the fan speed control - I am re-tooling all of my storage to use these, and just finished upgrading the firmware and MFG files correctly on mine. If you upgrade the firmware, you must upgrade the MFG files or locate commands will not work anymore!

Anyway, back to noise, here are some fan points I have figured out about these:
  1. There are 2 common stock fans for these - 0.6A and 0.8A, which are noticeably louder
  2. Connecting the fans to the backplane of JBOD power board runs the fans at different speeds, I haven't played with that much though.
  3. You only need 4 of the 7 stock fans in these unless you are somewhere hot
  4. Noctua NF-A8-PWM fans can fit hotswap in the carriers and be hotswappable with mods, but you will probably need all 7 - they are 0.08A
  5. My favorite fan for these (and all of my Supermicro cases) is older 3-pin Panaflo 80mm 0.17A fans - twice the power draw and air pressure of the noctuas, and not a lot louder

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
My favorite fan for these (and all of my Supermicro cases) is older 3-pin Panaflo 80mm 0.17A fans - twice the power draw and air pressure of the noctuas, and not a lot louder
witch model exactly ? i am also like to cut some nosing for my old SC836

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I'll get a model number for you soon, but they are 80x80x25mm so you have to mod the carriers for some cases (the ones with the plastic thumb notch need that removed.) The Panaflo 3-pin connector is a couple of mm to taller than a 4-pin connector so it won't fit in the carrier properly for hotswap, so I let the fan tails hang free and connect them to the mobo or backplane directly (or with splitters.) When I put Noctua NF-A8-PWM fans in the carriers, you can slice off one of the connector keys and it will work hotswap. Depending on the ambient temperatures you have though, the 0.17A Panaflos I am using might not move enough air through the JBOD. Unless your ambient temps are quite high though, I think it is safe to run the SC847 JBODs on only 4 of 7 fans, and of the 0.6A variety - that cuts noise a lot.

For an older SC836 though, the PSU fans are the worst offenders, get any 80+ gold or platinum replacement PSU as a first step, but if you have the 1.4A, 1.1A or 0.8A stock Supermicro fans, try to get some of the 0.6A ones as well.

I wish Noctua made an 80mm fan in their IPPC line - something that moves roughly 2-3x the air of a NF-A8-PWM. The lower power Supermicro 0.6A fans are not bad at all with a PWM motherboard to spin them way down, but at the speed these JBODs run them at, they are a bit too noisy.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
And this is why I'm moving my rack to the garage... I'll have a bunch of Noctua fans for sale in a few weeks as I go back to the Nidecs...

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@zeynel great price for shipping. did you have to pay any tax or custom charges additionally ?

I'm looking to get some of these cases from US however the shipping and foggy matters of custom charges scare me away.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
yes , it was all handled by ebay. but i got it back.

yes the shipping costs was really low. normally sellers of those chassis want around 250 bugs

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@zeynel wow.... do you mean you did get back tax and custom charges ? how did you managed to do that ?

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
you need to have a running business , and get a EORI number for imports.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk