Ryzen and ECC support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
was reading that amd left ecc support enabled on the ryzen cpus. was going to build a ryzen 1700 based system and wanted to use ecc ram so when i upgrade, i can use it in my freenas box,etc

anyone know what board it would work with? the details seems sketchy atm.

asus typically supports it, but I would prefer the gigabyte gaming k7 board over the asus ones.

can someone test it?

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
/r/AMD had an AMA today and it was confirmed ECC will be available.
Validated means run it through server/workstation grade testing. For the first Ryzen processors, focused on the prosumer / gaming market, this feature is enabled and working but not validated by AMD. You should not have issues creating a whitebox homelab or NAS with ECC memory enabled.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Far from confirmed, but someone in this Hacker News thread says Asrock AM4 boards support ECC.

As an aside my Asrock AM3+ board didn't at all.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
IMO, this dependency on motherboard implementors is one of the big reasons intel gave up on ECC on non-server chips (not a shadowy conspiracy)--the return wasn't worth the hassle. Let's say you buy yourself a board that says it supports ECC and buy nice ECC memory...how do you know it's doing ECC? Studies I've seen with fault injection suggest that a lot of the consumer-level "ECC" boards support ECC in the sense that they boot with that memory, but aren't actually implementing the error handling. The point at which people insist on ECC even it means using an unverifiable motherboard implementation and a chip whose manufacturer flat-out says they don't test the ECC implementation is the point at which ECC has moved from rational risk mitigation to silicon fetish item.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't really care about ECC support on these. They don't have IPMI so you can't use them like a normal server. A home server OK but small RAM with only 64GB so I don't really care. It's not needed.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
after i am done with it in my main box, being able to throw it into my freenas server would be great as it would already have ecc ram for the zfs self healing

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
whatever it does, i purchased ecc ram, a supermicro board, and a xeon 1230v3 several years ago for freenas.

trying to figure out what ryzen boards work with ecc - at the very least do not disable it