*SOLD* Toshiba 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM MD04ACA500 x18 (90TB)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
FS: 18 x Toshiba 5TB 7200 RPM MD04ACA500 internal hard disks, zero SMART errors or reallocated sectors, pulled from climate controlled NAS where they spent 99.99% of their power-on hours spun down (bulk backup). Working perfectly and guaranteed against DOA; selling only because I upgraded.

PRICE: *ALL SOLD*

Last edited:
Reactions: TType85

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
How do these compare to the X300 series? I just returned 4 of them to Toshiba (who's warranty is horrible btw) as they run VERY hot and ended up having bad sectors and dying within days of each other.

Not trying to threadcrap or discourage a sale, I've had nothing but bad luck with Toshiba 5TB's.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
As has been asked above, any warranty left on the drives? Would you be willing to offer a discount if one was to purchase multiples? And would you ship to Canada?

Thanks!

~Spritz

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
How do these compare to the X300 series? I just returned 4 of them to Toshiba (who's warranty is horrible btw) as they run VERY hot and ended up having bad sectors and dying within days of each other.

Not trying to threadcrap or discourage a sale, I've had nothing but bad luck with Toshiba 5TB's.
Not sure how they compare to X300 as I don't have experience with those, but these are HGST internals since the fab that produced these were acquired by Toshiba in the WD buyout. I've never had a failure or even a single reallocated sector with these - granted, the quantity 50 I've owned and have experience with are statistically meaningless, but then every personal story on a forum about a handful of drives that someone had a good/bad experience with tends to be.

If you had multiple drives "dying within days of each other" then experience suggests some other common denominator, perhaps power or cooling related.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Backblaze was quite impressed with the Toshiba 5TB, if that means anything.

I'll also assume since you didn't comment on it, that you won't ship to Canada?

~Spritz

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Curious - did those 50 live in the big Chenbro case you wrote about a few years ago? If yes - what did you stuff into that monster now?

That's a GREAT deal, BTW. If I hadn't already moved to almost all 2.5 I'd be all over it.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Backblaze was quite impressed with the Toshiba 5TB, if that means anything.

I'll also assume since you didn't comment on it, that you won't ship to Canada?

~Spritz
Ehh.. it wouldn't be my first choice because customs forms are a hassle, but if I still have these drives in a week then I might consider it. Nothing personal ;)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Curious - did those 50 live in the big Chenbro case you wrote about a few years ago? If yes - what did you stuff into that monster now?

That's a GREAT deal, BTW. If I hadn't already moved to almost all 2.5 I'd be all over it.
I think that was actually someone else on [H] that bought it? Odditory and I were both watching it on eBay however.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
If you had multiple drives "dying within days of each other" then experience suggests some other common denominator, perhaps power or cooling related.

The X300's run ridiculously hot, nearly 20 degrees F hotter than similar drives in the same array with same cooling.

I put in Western Digitals 6TB NAS under the same stress load and didn't have the same spike that the X300's did under load.

Maybe these need more cooling than other drives. Newegg has a laundry list of similar complaints for X300 drives.

Sounds like the drives you are selling are not part of the same family line and same problems.