Right display for professional digital photography editing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
HELP, I'm gettin lost in my research!

Can you gents weigh-in on a good IPS display for digital photography post processing editing?

REQUIREMENTS (also tell me what I don't know/am not mentioning that may be important):

Size/Resolution - 24-27" IPS (LED) display, 2560 x 1440 resolution or higher

Aspect Ratio - 16:10 desired (but I can be talked out of this if 16:9 is the more proper answer or if it really has little relevance, heard that is 'most native' to digi cam's these days (seeking pro's/con's)

Color Depth/bit depth - 8-bits or higher w/in reason considering budget

Things to keep in mind:
Post processing/color accuracy is IMPORTANT - ability of a display to deliver accurate color reproduction highly desired w/in bounds of budget (think sweet spot/best bang for buck for quality/pricepoint/budget)

BUDGET - $500 (+ or - $100)

Monitors I have briefly research or seen recommended for this type of work, sure there are better ones or a wealth of experience here:

Dell’s Ultrasharp U2713HM (replaced by Dell UP2716D) - $635
U2715H
U2413 (GOOD, definitely the cheapest in the pro category and sits between low and medium budget/dated) - $399
ASUS PA248Q - $319
ASUS PA279Q
DELL ULTRA SHARP U2711B 27"
ASUS PB278Q - $400
Benq BL2711U - $449
Benq GW2765HT -
BenQ 27-inch IPS Quad High Definition LED Monitor (SW2700PT), Adobe RGB Color Management, QHD 2560x1440 Display - $550
LG Electronics 4K UHD 27UD88-W 27" LED-Lit Monitor with USB Type-C - $600

Interested in/value ya'll's responses!

Thanks, whitey

EDIT: And NO I cannot afford one of those sweet Eizo panels LOL

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
-16:9/10 Doesn't matter much move your tool bars around and if you are viewing full screen it just doesn't matter at 27".
-Screen size go for a 27" 1440p. 1080p isn't enough to have your tools and workspace just not enough screen realestate. 1440p@24" things get hard to read (too small) and not all programs/menus scale well same problem with 4k screens under 40".
-Then just read the reviews and tests on color reproduction and make sure you have a way to calibrate the screen once you buy it cause out of the box it still needs calibration if it is going to be used seriously.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
i'd suggest to look what NEC has to offer on 27" with LED, i have 3x pa271w for work, mostly coding but sometimes also photo editing/pre-press where color counts and still quite impressed by these.

if LED is not an absolute requirement and you can live with a bit higher power draw and a bit more heat i would abslutely recommend them. currently selling for a bit more than 400 €, so also should fit budget. (original pricing was ca. 1200 €)

also have an older 24" eizo that doesn't come close to the pa271 ;)

you should look for high color depth, how much of RGB scope the dislay can handle and also (real) contrast ratio. this will be important to determine/see differences in pretty dark parts. some screens will simply show black, where still is some difference that will apear on high quality printouts (fine-art).

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks for the advice/tips thus far folks. Still researching but I am narrowing down the list quick.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Let us know what you end up with. I'm in a similar spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
did some quick research, the BenQ seems to be quite solid for the price, but obviously has some drawbacks. Most i'd be concerned about homogenity, if that matters.

this is a (german) page that does very sophisticated testing of screens for years now, maybe translator can get something meaningful in english. Last page is an overall resume for the BenQ, linked page shows what imho might be problematic.

Test Monitor BenQ SW2700PT Teil 4

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have one of their older models and you really need something to calibrate properly.
Not sure if these are the best you can get today, but worked for me.

i1Display Pro Monitor Calibration; X-Rite

Honestly, I haven't calibrated my new 24" Dell 4Ks and while 1 next to my 30" HP is fine the other is very obviously not the same color/tones.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Despite being a little over your price idea,
I would set Eizo as given and buy their cheapest color edge monitor -
Eizo, simply (one of) the best.

ex
EIZO CS2420 ColorEdge

bzw
Image quality is more important than resolution or size

Last edited:

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Given your price requirement, I would certainly have suggested a Hazro screen. But unfortunately I see their webshop is closed now. Their support is absolutely horrendous, but I don't know anywhere you could get better screens for even twice the price. A couple of years ago I purchased their 30 inch 16:10 2560x1600 IPS screen for £332.50 on sale. To be perfectly honest, I actually purchased three of them... If you can find Hazro screens anywhere, that may be an option to consider.

You may also want to take a look at tftcentral.co.uk where you will find in-depth reviews of screens. Their calibration results may be the most important parts to read for you.

And as mentioned by @T_Minus : You'll need a calibrator to get a reliable screen setup for photo editing.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
i would add the cost for the calibration tool to the budget for the display itself and go for an eizo or NEC with stable/measured and corrected backlight instead.

hw-calibrarion and also setup of proper color-management can become sort of tricky. often results are even worse than with defaults/done in sw if a single little bit is just not right.