Migration Advice : 240Gb SSD RAID1 to 800GB SSD RAID1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LeeMan

Oct 18, 2015
I'm trying to plan on migrating my 240Gb SSDs over to 800Gb SSDs. I'm using the hardware (software?) RAID in the BIOS of a Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F (SATA chipset Intel C612).

Currently running on two 240Gb Micron SSDs as my boot drives on Ubuntu 14.04 in RAID1 via BIOS.

Just bought two 800GB Intel DC3500 I'd like to replace them with.

I've read conflicting information that I could just remove one of the drives, let it rebuild, then replace the other one. Just looking for some advice to this method as this is my first experience in migrating a RAID array.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I'm trying to plan on migrating my 240Gb SSDs over to 800Gb SSDs. I'm using the hardware (software?) RAID in the BIOS of a Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F (SATA chipset Intel C612).

Currently running on two 240Gb Micron SSDs as my boot drives on Ubuntu 14.04 in RAID1 via BIOS.

Just bought two 800GB Intel DC3500 I'd like to replace them with.

I've read conflicting information that I could just remove one of the drives, let it rebuild, then replace the other one. Just looking for some advice to this method as this is my first experience in migrating a RAID array.
I normally just use gddrescue from a live Linux CD to clone the old disks to the new disks. You will need to likely expand the partition in the Mobo softraid, then finally expand the file system to use the new space. Maybe someone with experience with this exact softraid implementation could provide more specific directions.

As a sidenote, I would have went with anything not reliant on motherboard raid, i.e. mdadm, btrfs or ZFS mirrors. All are hardware independent and very portable.

Reactions: tic226 and T_Minus

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Copy the data off the array, replace the drives, create a new larger array, copy data back.
Stuffing around with rebuilds is asking for data corruption.

LeeMan

Oct 18, 2015
I honestly think I will just back up whatever config files I need and do a new array. Plus I plan on migrating 90% of all software we use to dockers to make things more organized. Just debating if I will just go the easy route and just the MB RAID1 or try and setup ZFS mirror for my boot drive.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I honestly think I will just back up whatever config files I need and do a new array. Plus I plan on migrating 90% of all software we use to dockers to make things more organized. Just debating if I will just go the easy route and just the MB RAID1 or try and setup ZFS mirror for my boot drive.
Ubuntu root on ZFS is more complicated to setup than setting up RAID1 with mdadm (this is built into the installer). Here is how you do it.

Ubuntu 16.04 Root on ZFS · zfsonlinux/zfs Wiki · GitHub

Reactions: LeeMan