Monero Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just used the latest non beta driver off of AMD's site, version 17.1.2.

I tried overclocking the video cards and it did not improve the speed at all and upped the power usage a bit so I am back to stock speeds.
Minergate is always a little laggy because of unconfirmed if you do it that way. Mine is not bad now.

Hey @Klee - I'm going to try the RX's too. What do I need drivers? Just the regular gaming ones?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Thank you so much Patrick! That is why I have negative unconfirmed balance apparnetly.

I'll turn off the GPUs and switch to solo mining if this is the case (or maybe just try to fix it).

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure how to diagnose which is bad, other than run a different account for every GPU and see which racks up bad shares. Any other ideas...?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Spartus that seems rough especially since Minergate requires e-mail confirmation of transfers. But... that is probably what I would end up doing.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Updated hash rate for D-1541 (using 6 threads): 249 H/s

Try setting the number of threads to the CPU cache size / 2.

Just a reminder to those who do not remember or have not seen this from earlier in the thread.

I have found that this is a great starting point if your wondering about how many cpu threads to run.

My new build with E5-2667 V3 ES cpu's with 35 mb cache each perform MUCH better verses 20 mb each of the 2670 V1 cpu's from my old build.

The new cpu's and the old V1's both boost up to 3.0 ghz on all cores and are both 8 core cpu's.

The V3's performance improvement of about %60 mining monero verses the V1's with the same core count running the same all core boost and use less power doing it.

If you want to build a rig for cpu mining find the largest cache size per the number of cpu threads you can find.

Minergate running just the cpu miner with theses cpu's I run 31 or 32 threads depending on if i'm using the workstation while I mine, the old
build seemed to work best with ~16 threads.

The 2667 V3 ES cpu's I bought are actually higher core count processors, 14 cores, that had six cores disabled but still have the huge L3 cache and that really helps with cpu mining.

When I was looking for cpu's for my new board I was mainly concerned with with the highest core count and highest speed as cheap as I could find, these E5-2667 V3 ES cpu's were $289.00 each, and the cache size never entered into the equation now I am pleasantly surprised how well these work for mining.

Last edited:

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
yeah, im done with minergate. I cant GPU mine there. I got 2 invalid on nearly 2000 shares this afternoon on both computers I forked off. Both of the new accounts have a negative balance. I think that is how minergate makes money (big penalties).

I'm gonna go solo, but since a lot of miners require stratum etc that might just mean a private pool... I'll report back as i look into it. I don't want to lose my most powerful assets (quad GPU's) to brutal penalties.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
yeah, im done with minergate. I cant GPU mine there. I got 2 invalid on nearly 2000 shares this afternoon on both computers I forked off. Both of the new accounts have a negative balance. I think that is how minergate makes money (big penalties).

I'm gonna go solo, but since a lot of miners require stratum etc that might just mean a private pool... I'll report back as i look into it. I don't want to lose my most powerful assets (quad GPU's) to brutal penalties.
Let me know if you get a private pool running and keep instructions. I would not be completely opposed to setting up a private STH pool. Perhaps I could keep it under VPN and for forum members only so we deal with less DDoS?

Just a lot of hassle to set one up although I have the infrastructure for it.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@MiniKnight What configuration settings did you use for your RX 480?
Code:
{
 "Algorithms":
 [
  {
   "name": "CryptoNight",
   "devices":
   [
    {
     "index": 0,
     "corefreq": 500,
     "memfreq": 1500,
     "fanspeed": 65,
     "powertune": 20,
     "threads": 2,
     "rawintensity": 504,
     "worksize": 16
    },
    {
     "index": 1,
     "corefreq": 500,
     "memfreq": 1500,
     "fanspeed": 65,
     "powertune": 20,
     "threads": 2,
     "rawintensity": 504,
    },
    {
     "index": -1,
     "threads": 35,
     "rawintensity": 16,
    }
   ],
   "pools":
   [
    {
     "url": "stratum+tcp://xmr.pool.minergate.com:45560",
     "user": "example@example.com",
     "pass": "x"
    }
   ]
  }
 ]
}

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
@MiniKnight Thanks for the point of comparison. I found I get better results on a PowerColor 4GB RX 480 with the following:

Code:
"threads": 1,
"rawintensity": 960,
"worksize": 8

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Kal G that seems to be better in my book.

BTW I now am up to 7M good shares and now four invalid. All 4 were from AMD GPU mining using either Minergate and from Wolf's Windows AMD miner.

Turned that machine off for now but may bring 2KH/s+ back online elsewhere. Something is screwy. Just as an aside, I have 19 or so NVIDIA GPUs mining and 0 bad shares under linux with the nvidia-docker image.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The minergate penalities on bad shares are crippling bad, i ended up leaving them with negative balance. they not only robbed all my gpu mining, but all of my cpu mining which outdid the GPU output by 4:1, they took it all and left me negative for 4 days of work.

So yeah, do not point a GPU that throws ANY bad shares at minergate.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my new dual E5-2667 V3 ES dual RX480 build.

Downloaded and compiled Wolfs cpu miner.

Nice speedup compared to minergate 6.6 on windows, getting about ~1100 to ~1140 H/s.

Will let it run overnight to see how it does then I will play around with GPU mining on Linux also.

Just installed Minergate 6.6 on Ubuntu and its doing about ~920- ~980 H/s cpu mining.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Question:

My stat
Total mined:5.680008855474
Good shares:1,038,154
Blocks:2

I started mining on Jan-23, in approx 21 days, I found 2 blocks worth 16 to 18 XMR.
Won't it be more profitable to be solo miner than mining with MinerGate pool?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Klee - yea Linux is usually better. That 200H/s is about 1/3 to 1/4 of a GPU :)

@Marsh - somewhat. The bigger issue is that you can not get a hit for a long time. Using a pool helps smooth that out. So you may have been relatively lucky.

I am at:
  • Good: 7.9 million
  • Bad: 1257
  • Mined: 56 and change
  • Blocks: 8

Using ~8.5 XMR/ block I should be at just under 68XMR not just over 56. Hard to tell.

@cafcwest - I think I have mentioned before in this post. I would be open to doing so but a few bits:
  • I would probably not want to put it on a public IP. Maybe for forum members only through a VPN.
  • I have the hardware/ bandwidth for this no problem. On the other hand, let's say we had a 1% fee pool and we mined 20XMR/ month (my results x 2.5.) That is only 0.2XMR or $2 worth. To increase hash rate means getting more unknown quantities and dealing with issues that these pools have to contend with.
  • Learning how to configure this, and well I have not had the time to do yet: GitHub - zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool: Mining pool for CryptoNote based coins such as Bytecoin and Monero
Seems like a lot of work for marginal gains at best.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
ok so couple updates.

After some bitching about minergate on reddit, they messaged me and said they would fix things, and they did, so props for that they gave me back all the penalties I racked up. Took a few days though...that being said, new pool is much better...

was supportxmr.com
now with new pool software at supportXMR.com Monero Mining Pool
and newer pool software with beta features at XMRPool.net - Mine XMR/Monero or BTC/Bitcoin

The operator is always in chat, has personally helped me a few times, and has fees basically at break even for covering transactions (0.6%). he basically makes no money and is just supporting the community (or maybe making scraps from incorrect accounts etc.)

High recommend them.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@Spartus , thanks for the info. I may point couple of mining nodes to them.

Anyone tried this ?

INTRODUCING THE MONERODO OS
The Monerodo OS - the operating system for your Monerodo device.

MoneroWorld

What is a Monerodo?

Its a device that functions primarily as a Monero node. The Monerodo OS is a customized Ubuntu
that has Monero Core, Monero Pool Server, Nvidia mining software,
various CPU mining software, and the MiniNodo Wallet server,
already preinstalled and easily configured via simple text menu interfaces.
Now featuring spinny status icons!!!