Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Is "8086 8c02 d3d0 false" unique to each individual motherboard or is it the same on all Supermicro Xeon D motherboards? If unique, how do I find the address on my board?

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
The ASRock ones aren't that great with the Marvell 9172 being used for the M2 slots either... that suggests AHCI-only and not PCIe/NVME doesn't it...? I'm also yet to be convinced of the SFP+ ports running off the Cortina chips but hopefully Patrick et al getting their hands on some boards might help my confidence... but I won't hold my breath.
I know this was from a year ago, but does anyone know if that will limit ESXi? I seem to remember them not always playing nice with certain Marvell controllers. I saw one of these Asrock D1540D4U boards for less than half price used.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I know this was from a year ago, but does anyone know if that will limit ESXi? I seem to remember them not always playing nice with certain Marvell controllers. I saw one of these Asrock D1540D4U boards for less than half price used.
What exactly are you asking? I have a D1541D4U running in ESXi right now.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Happen to have any links/resources on PCI passthrough on 6.5? Tried googling. Need to passthrough my m1015 on my new xeon-d board on esxi6.5

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Happen to have any links/resources on PCI passthrough on 6.5? Tried googling. Need to passthrough my m1015 on my new xeon-d board on esxi6.5
Are you using the HTML5 vSphere client or Flash? The HTML5 client doesn't support the the ability to set passthrough yet as far as I know.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Just tried the html5, thought i needed to go CLI though.. didnt even know theres a flash client.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just tried the html5, thought i needed to go CLI though.. didnt even know theres a flash client.
No that's only the case usually with onboard SATA storage controllers. If you have an LSI controller it should be configurable via the GUI.

Now granted this SS was taken from vSphere 6.2 flash client. I know there is both a flash and HTML5 client for vCenter 6.5 I'm not sure about vSphere. I would assume so.

On a related note I tried upgrading my vSAN cluster to 6.5 this past weekend and had all kinds of issues with vCenter 6.5. To me it's not ready for primetime yet so sticking with 6.2 for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

patmoon89

Nov 25, 2016
Sorry to be off-topic...

I few pages someone asked about the xeon-d performance with plex....anyone have any other thoughts?

I currently have the atom c2550 in my system and I'm getting some significant performance issues with single 1080p mkv streams.

I just got one of the gigabyte xeon d-1521 mobo BNIB for a good price. I'm hoping it improves my system overall, but I'm not quite sure. I just couldn't justify the 800+ for the xeond d-1540+ mobo. Is that what I need to comfortably crush plex transcoding? I'm trying to stick with the mini-itx form, but i'm might have to go m-atx and just get an old xeon 1231 v3...i'll just be limited to the 32gb of ram....

bottom line...

xeon d-1521 > atom c2550. But good enough? Anyone have any data before i install?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Sorry to be off-topic...

I few pages someone asked about the xeon-d performance with plex....anyone have any other thoughts?

I currently have the atom c2550 in my system and I'm getting some significant performance issues with single 1080p mkv streams.

I just got one of the gigabyte xeon d-1521 mobo BNIB for a good price. I'm hoping it improves my system overall, but I'm not quite sure. I just couldn't justify the 800+ for the xeond d-1540+ mobo. Is that what I need to comfortably crush plex transcoding? I'm trying to stick with the mini-itx form, but i'm might have to go m-atx and just get an old xeon 1231 v3...i'll just be limited to the 32gb of ram....

bottom line...

xeon d-1521 > atom c2550. But good enough? Anyone have any data before i install?
Good enough depends on how many transcodes you're looking to do simultaneously. The D-1521 should give you about 3 times the transcoding power over the c2550 so if you're just doing 2-3 transcodes at a time you should be fine.

patmoon89

Nov 25, 2016
Sure....passmark shows better numbers and what not...maybe this a stupid question..

But the core speeds are identical between the atom c2550 and the Xeon d cores. It seems the systems that perform better with transcoding are those with higher single core speeds. So that's why I'm wondering if I'll actually see a significant improvement between the XeonD 1521 and my atom when it comes to transcoding...

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Sure....passmark shows better numbers and what not...maybe this a stupid question..

But the core speeds are identical between the atom c2550 and the Xeon d cores. It seems the systems that perform better with transcoding are those with higher single core speeds. So that's why I'm wondering if I'll actually see a significant improvement between the XeonD 1521 and my atom when it comes to transcoding...
Completely different architectures; MHz comparisons across architectures are meaningless. In this case, there are significant differences in cache, in pipeline, in the number of execution units per core, etc. The xeon d will get more work done per clock cycle; the c series is optimized for power consumption rather than performance.

Reactions: IamSpartacus

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I'm looking to build a fairly cheap pfsense fw and looking at the ASrock D1520DAI, but can't read much about it? Any caveats, issues seen with this board/Cpu?

I'd be looking at SM usually, but these boards are pretty cheap...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You mean ASrock D1520D4I right ?

They are the older revision of the chip, SM boards of that vintage allow SR-IOV if that's relevant for you.
The main reason I assume not much info is they were so slow coming and rare, SM simply had more in the market earlier. And when ASrock did come they were similar price.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
You mean ASrock D1520D4I right ?

They are the older revision of the chip, SM boards of that vintage allow SR-IOV if that's relevant for you.
The main reason I assume not much info is they were so slow coming and rare, SM simply had more in the market earlier. And when ASrock did come they were similar price.
Correct, I typed it from memory and seems I'm running some slow DDR up there :)

I wont be (I think) virtualizing the network so SR-IOV is not a stopping block...

But still, this board at 270 EUR is tempting, to me at least.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I did notice also recently the supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f was ~$USD 415 which is on sale and cheaper (d-1521 CPU) so I wonder if that's about to be superseded in the new lineup.

Anyway just buy what you need at a good price and I am sure you will be happy :)

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Yeah, already BIN and shipped ;) Non-EU sellers is usally killing our deals as you'd need to add 25%+12.5% at customs (Sweden).