[Solved] LSI 9207-8i or SAS2x36 Backplane write IOPS issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
Hi.

I've encountered a very annoying issue with my setup: Since sometime (I have no idea when or why) I've lost nearly all my write IOPS through my LSI 9207-8i and SAS2x36 backplane.

This is the result of the sas2flash -list:
sas2flash.PNG

..and this is the benchmark of a single Samsung 840 Evo through the 9207-8i and the SAS2x36 backplane:
9307-8i P19 through SAS.png

... and this is the same disk connected to the onboard SATA controller:
Onboard SATA.png

I have tried every controller firmware from P15 (with a proper clean) to P20 with the exact same results.
Unfortunately, I miss a SAS breakout cable so I have no means of bypassing the backplane for further troubleshooting.

Any tips before I order myself a breakout cable for further troubleshooting?

Cheers
P

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I saw similar weirdness when I had SATA and SAS drives mixed on the backplane. Is the 840 the ONLY device connected?

Also: What firmware is on your backplane?

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
I saw similar weirdness when I had SATA and SAS drives mixed on the backplane. Is the 840 the ONLY device connected?

Also: What firmware is on your backplane?
There are other SATA-SSD's connected to the backplane but no SAS drives.
According to SuperMicro's ExpanderTools these are the following versions:
MFG ver: 02.38
Reg0 ver: 55.14.18.00
Name SC216EL2 (Single Port only though)

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
I have no screenshots of if, but the read IOPS are as expected through the 9207-8i and the SAS2x36.

I just found out that the heatsink of the 9207 was hot, really hot so I don't know if the chip is throttling and my two Intel 520 has been acting strange in the backplane so perhaps either of these issues are the culprit...

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
Some Updates withouth resolve:

I have
  • Removed the old thermal pad on the HBA and replaced it with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, optimised the air flow around the HBA to avoid ovearheating
  • Tried every Firmware with matching driver on Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016.
  • Tried both SAS-connectors on the HBA to every SAS-connector on the backplane expander
  • Tried an older 1068E-based HBA
without any general difference in write performance through the backplane and this is as far as I can troubleshoot on my own.
Just mailed SuperMicro with the hopes that they can assisst me in this issue.

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
You've turned the fans up in IPMI? Any temp readings on the expander?
To temperature readings but no overheat warning on the backplane.
Fans are set to full speed with an overall system temperature of about 34 degrees celcius.

No fans are connected to the fan connectors on the backplane.
All fans are connected to the fan connectors on the motherboard.

SuperMicro referred to:
  • Verify my disk on the HCL (Done, all tested disks are on the HCL)
  • Verify the HBA with a SFF8087 => SATA cable (Not done)
  • Needs model and serial# of the motherboard and chassis (Not done)

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Great @Wixner glad to see some resolution to this, and something that will help others likely too!