JHC, what the heck does it take to get pfSense working correctly????

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Second time trying to get this happen and I ran into some weirdness that made no freaking sense. :(

Got pfSense loaded on the box without and issues. Was able to log into the web UI so that part was working. Last step was to change the ip address to match the rest of my network. After doing this i shut it down and moved it from the bench to what I thought would be it's permanent location. Fired it up and waited for my computer to pull an ip address. It never did. Tried to remote in and nothing. Hooked a monitor to the box and all looked perfect. It pulled an ip from my cable modem and showed to correct local ip. None of my computers could pull an ip from it and I could not remote into it so what in the heck is going on???? I moved it back to the bench and am cooling my heels before I touch it again lest I throw it out the Window. Last time I tried I ran into all manner of weird problems that's documented here somewhere. So do I need to get written permission from Heaven to get this working? :confused:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I don't think DHCP is enabled by default. Did you set a range, enable it, and configure everything else needed? I think you also have to save/apply changes on the web UI for it to take. Some of the UI decisions seem weird to me, but once you get used to their way of doing things, it's not bad.

Reactions: T_Minus

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
You probably need to enable and/or reconfigure the DHCP server if you changed its LAN IP.

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If it makes you feel any better, I am installing Ubuntu 16.04.1 onto a machine with 4 data network ports right now over a Lantronix Spider. IPMI is not working and the Ubuntu 16.04.1 installer does not have drivers for the NICs.

Even when it gets up, I will not be able to connect via Ethernet. Fun weekend.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
If it makes you feel any better, I am installing Ubuntu 16.04.1 onto a machine with 4 data network ports right now over a Lantronix Spider. IPMI is not working and the Ubuntu 16.04.1 installer does not have drivers for the NICs.

Even when it gets up, I will not be able to connect via Ethernet. Fun weekend.
Frustration loves company. :confused:

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I have set up pfSense several times and always the same. Install pfSense. Connect laptop to LAN port with ethernet cable. Connect laptop to serial port with serial cable. Assign interfaces via serial port. Assign lan IP address via serial port. Enable DHCP. Restart pfSense. Wait for laptop to get IP address. Continue configuring router over the web. Eventually I reconnect the laptop to the LAN and move the router to the LAN, but not before the laptop connected to the router work all by themselves.

Ahh, the joys of auto MDX so I don't need red reversing cables or switches any more. Just plug it in, plug it in.

cdawwgg

Dec 15, 2016
Go into the GUI and check your interfaces. You need to manually define....wait....what hardware are you running on. Do you have lights on the LAN port? I've had weird things happen with Realtek nics. Another thing is if you're using an opt interface, make sure you're not plugged into that. Once all the plugs are in the right holes, I'm assuming they are but it's the admin in me...Go to your interfaces and then manually set your DHCP scope for the LAN zone. Also make sure that block bogon and there's one more box at the bottom are unchecked. From there venture to the shrine of the silver monkey..er..firewall rules. Make sure that basic rules have been created by the OS. Are you using a stable release or a nightly build? My final suggestion is just reinstall. Make new media on a different flash drive and try again.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. Been so busy that I haven't had a chance to get but to it but plan to this weekend. I think the problem may have been that I ASSUMED that DHCP will enabled by default. i can't imagine why it would not be but what do I know. System is based on an Intel DQ77MK motherboard so both NICs are Intel.

Teg Bains

Nov 17, 2015
Fritz, DHCP is on by default. pfSense is set to use 192.168.1.1/24 by default on the LAN port. If you change the LAN IP, do remember to change the DHCP Server's scope as well.

What NIC's are you using?

Second time trying to get this happen and I ran into some weirdness that made no freaking sense. :(

Got pfSense loaded on the box without and issues. Was able to log into the web UI so that part was working. Last step was to change the ip address to match the rest of my network. :confused:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
NICs are Intel 82579LM and Intel 82574L both built into the MB. They seem to be working just fine.