RAM suggestion for SM Pfsense server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I am building my PFsense router on ESXI platform. The motherboard I use is Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRM-LN7F-2758. I don't have RAM for it yet.

Would like to get some advice on below:

1) If I want to run 2-3 VM on this server and one of them is PFsense how much RAM is ideal?

2) Should I use ECC or not? This MB only supports unbuffered ECC and non-ECC. I am considering if I need to get ECC or just normal RAM.

Anything I am missing before deciding the RAM?
Your input is highly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If you're not gonna run anything like a SW stg appliance on it then non-ECC memory is 'ok'...I guess. I prefer ECC but I also do HEAVY ZFS ops so I am not risking my data no matter how small the chance of corruption due to non-ECC mem is.

For your use-case w/ 2-3 VM's assuming they are light to moderate use (nothing HEAVY) I'd say 16-32 GB of mem should be the sweet spot.

I run my virt pfSense w/ 1 vCPU, 1 GB memory and it seems pretty happy w/ that, nothing fancy though, routing/FW/VPN's.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
For your use case if the motherboard supports ECC I would use it. When consolidating systems it's better to err on the side of caution because you are dealing with one set of hardware supporting multiple VM's. One hardware failure and the entire machine is down.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The amount of ram is really App/Ram dependent. My pfSense box has 4GB because that was the cheapest compatible stick option for my selected motherboard.

I've been just buying ECC, mainly because dimms on the secondary market don't usually carry a price premium vs non-ECC (plus ECC comes in higher densities).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Go with ECC memory. I had issues years ago using non-ECC DIMMs I had lying around with C2000 boards.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Word to the wise, while it 'may' be tempting to only add 16Gb of memory, and you say you only want 2-3 VM's, I'd plan for double that, maybe even 6-8 once ya get bit by 'the bug', why build a hypervisor box w/out at least 32-64gb memory these days IMHO.

Reactions: cheezehead

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
16 should be fine. Get two 8gb sticks, and if you need more it isn't a big deal to add another two.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
16 should be fine. Get two 8gb sticks, and if you need more it isn't a big deal to add another two.
This.

The board listed in the OP will take 16G sticks of x8 DDR3 ... if anyone makes it ... and you can afford it. That's the only way to get to 64G. 8G UDIMMs are expensive enough, and a pair of them should run the stated workload and can always be expanded.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thanks all for good advice! I ended up purchasing two sticks of UDIMM ECC 8G Samsung RAM from 2nd hand market. Runs well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
May want to check the stepping (I'm assuming there was a post B0 for the fix) of the CPU before putting that thing to work :( if it's a new purchase and new stock you are probably ok but if it was me I'd check.