Need pfSense Low Power Build Advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
The C2558 for 1GbE serves most well.
Thanks.

And compared to a i3-7100 build, do you think the C2558 comes out on top, other than the IPMI?

I like the IPMI feature, as well, but I want to know if there's more about the C2558 that makes it the winner compared to the i3.

I think I've got it narrowed down to these two finally, thanks to all of you at this forum.

Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
This is my utilization with a c2550 running 100Mbps/100Mbps with upload and download maxed out 24/7. The c2550 is barely hitting 1%.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
The C2558 rackmounted is starting to sound pretty good. I just hope it's living room friendly.

So far, Patrick has provided me with the motherboard and case.

SuperMicro A1SRI-2558F Mini-ITX Motherboard:
*NEW* SuperMicro A1SRI-2558F Mini-ITX Motherboard ***FULL MFR WARRANTY***

Supermicro Rack Mount Server Chassis CSE-505-203B
Amazon.com: Supermicro Rack Mount Server Chassis CSE-505-203B: Computers & Accessories

Can someone help me with recommendations for the rest of the C2558 build?

I still need:
  • RAM
  • M.2 or SSD, I believe this case might need a drive cage, as well, if I'm not mistaken
  • Pico PSU? Or should I just stick to what it comes with?
  • Additional fans for CPU/case? (Noctua?)
  • Anything else I may be missing?

Thanks so much everyone!

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
The 510-203B is configured for passive heatsinks like the A1SRI-2558F has. So it might be a better case option. Depends on whether you plan on adding active cooling to the A1SRI-2558F or not.

For RAM just pick some from the tested memory list. I might actually have some lying around that I could sell you if you're in the US.

SSD. There should be mounting options in the case. I believe the 505 comes in several different configurations though.

Just stick with the PSU that comes with it. It's a quality Gold level PSU.

If you're adding fans to the case you'll need to affix them to the back of it somehow. Zipties or something. And/Or add a small fan to the HS.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
Interesting. Can anyone tell me the differences are between the 505-203B and the 505-203B?

I didn't seem to have much luck with Google and just want to make sure I buy the right gear to begin with.

Thanks.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks.

And compared to a i3-7700 build, do you think the C2558 comes out on top, other than the IPMI?

I like the IPMI feature, as well, but I want to know if there's more about the C2558 that makes it the winner compared to the i3.

I think I've got it narrowed down to these two finally, thanks to all of you at this forum.
I'm amazed that so many people are advising buying into a relatively obsolete and overpriced solution like the 2558. I've got an avoton, it's worked well for me over the years, but there's no way I'd buy a new one today without some really specialized requirements you don't have. For 150mbps home internet I'd look at an APU2 for a small all in one solution, or a kaby lake Celeron or i3 for a build it yourself.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
This makes sense. Plus, once I added up all the parts for the C2558, it was quite expensive.

I think I want to do an i3 pfSense build, starting with the i3-7100 I was looking at.

Amazon.com: Intel BX80677I37100 7th Gen Core Desktop Processors: Computers & Accessories

Can someone please make recommendations for a good mITX motherboard to support this that either has integrated Intel gigabit lan, or has the right PCIe slot(s) to accommodate a quad port Intel NIC? I think I'd like to be a leader to put in a m.2 as well or something to that effect.

Thank you, once again.

Last edited:

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
This makes sense. Plus, once I added up all the parts for the C2558, it was quite expensive.

I think I want to do an i3 pfSense build, starting with the i3-7700 I was looking at.

Amazon.com: Intel BX80677I37100 7th Gen Core Desktop Processors: Computers & Accessories

Can someone please make recommendations for a good mITX motherboard to support this that either has integrated Intel gigabit lan, or has the right PCIe slot(s) to accommodate a quad port Intel NIC? I think I'd like to be a leader to put in a m.2 as well or something to that effect.

Thank you, once again.
This is the most promising mitx board I've seen, but I haven't tried it: ASRock > H270M-ITX/ac Has m.2 (sata or nvme), pcie3 x16 slot, i219 + i211 nics, and 6x sata3 for about $100.

The CPU options start at about $40 for a G3930 and you can can spend $20 more at a time as you work your way up the range.

Reactions: Marsh

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
I'm amazed that so many people are advising buying into a relatively obsolete and overpriced solution like the 2558. I've got an avoton, it's worked well for me over the years, but there's no way I'd buy a new one today without some really specialized requirements you don't have. For 150mbps home internet I'd look at an APU2 for a small all in one solution, or a kaby lake Celeron or i3 for a build it yourself.
Because power consumption. That's what OP was asking for. The C2550 will cost around $250 which can definitely be more expensive but only if you go desktop grade hardware for a C/P/i3 build. Personally I'd still want ECC RAM and IPMI so it's going to cost the same in the end. The C2550 will idle about 10w lower than a C/P/i3 build and about 30w lower at capacity.

I definitely wouldn't call the 2550/2558 overpriced or obsolete when it's still quite capable and barely sips any power.

Reactions: abq

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Because power consumption. That's what OP was asking for. The C2550 will cost around $250 which can definitely be more expensive but only if you go desktop grade hardware for a C/P/i3 build. Personally I'd still want ECC RAM and IPMI so it's going to cost the same in the end. The C2550 will idle about 10w lower than a C/P/i3 build and about 30w lower at capacity.

I definitely wouldn't call the 2550/2558 overpriced or obsolete when it's still quite capable and barely sips any power.
ECC. For a firewall. On a home network. All I can say is, "isn't it great that everyone can make their own choices". I guess if your requirement is "ECC and exactly X watts" then you'd be in that narrow set of requirements that justifies buying into rangely at this late date. If low power consumption were the primary requirement for a network at this scale, I'd be looking at an APU2--which draws less than the c2558 and a much lower price point. But kaby lake has pretty low power consumption at idle, and I don't think you're really using that much more (in the context of a single residential device) going with that--especially since the other listed requirement was enough horsepower to do whatever now and in the future. If you actually start pushing up the power consumption on the kaby lake it's because you're doing computation at a level that the c2558 couldn't do in the first place. Apart from that, the newer platform has pcie v3 instead of v2, has m2 for nvme ssd, has 6 sata3 instead of 2 sata3, etc. If that all cost more I'd say skip it because it's uneccessary for a firewall--but to get so much functionality which could give the box significantly more utility and a longer life going forward and to pay less? Seems like a better choice.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
Thanks guys. This has been great for giving me ideas.

I'm still leaning towards the i3-7100 self build. It makes the most sense to me, given my needs.

Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
ECC. For a firewall. On a home network. All I can say is, "isn't it great that everyone can make their own choices". I guess if your requirement is "ECC and exactly X watts" then you'd be in that narrow set of requirements that justifies buying into rangely at this late date. If low power consumption were the primary requirement for a network at this scale, I'd be looking at an APU2--which draws less than the c2558 and a much lower price point. But kaby lake has pretty low power consumption at idle, and I don't think you're really using that much more (in the context of a single residential device) going with that--especially since the other listed requirement was enough horsepower to do whatever now and in the future. If you actually start pushing up the power consumption on the kaby lake it's because you're doing computation at a level that the c2558 couldn't do in the first place. Apart from that, the newer platform has pcie v3 instead of v2, has m2 for nvme ssd, has 6 sata3 instead of 2 sata3, etc. If that all cost more I'd say skip it because it's uneccessary for a firewall--but to get so much functionality which could give the box significantly more utility and a longer life going forward and to pay less? Seems like a better choice.
Yeah. Having non-garbage RAM is important to me. All the real low wattage 6th and 7th gen CPUs are either much more expensive than Avoton, don't perform as well or consume 3x+ more power. Every APU2 + pfSense search result yields nothing but people complaining about performance and configuration issues.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Yeah. Having non-garbage RAM is important to me.
Then be happy you get to pay for it. Other people can make perfectly reasonable assessments that the error rates in current memory are low enough that it's a waste of money (even if some guy on the internet will say your memory is garbage). I remember back when it normal for systems to have correctable memory errors scrolling past--and these days I just don't see that anymore.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Thanks guys. This has been great for giving me ideas.

I'm still leaning towards the i3-7700 self build. It makes the most sense to me, given my needs.
You keep saying 7700 and it is i3-7100. The 7700 is an i7 and cost +$300.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Then be happy you get to pay for it. Other people can make perfectly reasonable assessments that the error rates in current memory are low enough that it's a waste of money (even if some guy on the internet will say your memory is garbage). I remember back when it normal for systems to have correctable memory errors scrolling past--and these days I just don't see that anymore.
High binned non-ECC memory is the same price as ECC memory... So if you're saying buy non-ECC memory to save money then you're buying low bin value sticks that I wouldn't trust for any job.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
You are absolutely right! I didn't even realize I was saying it was a 7700. Thanks for pointing it out. I am editing my posts now.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
High binned non-ECC memory is the same price as ECC memory... So if you're saying buy non-ECC memory to save money then you're buying low bin value sticks that I wouldn't trust for any job.
You don't have to keep trying to convince me, I'm sure you have the most reliable home router in the entire world.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
You don't have to keep trying to convince me, I'm sure you have the most reliable home router in the entire world.
You're the one who said it was a waste of money. It can't be a waste of money if its more reliable and costs the same...

Edit: Doing a quick search of 16GB modules it looks like ECC is actually cheaper at the moment.