Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016 for new server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TomiBoy86

Jan 31, 2017
Hey!

I am going to replace one of my servers, but I can't decide if I should go with WS12R2 or WS16. I would love to have all the new stuff especially http/2.
But the new update system is just an nightmare. I have a custom application running that should be shutdown correct to prevent data loss with forced updates (+ forced auto restart) in the new server OS this will cause an huge problem. Also I am a bit afraid of the upcoming feature updates. Windows 10 has already shown that the feature updates basically reinstall the OS which tacks forever, reset some settings and remove installed applications that Microsoft doesn't like. And that is an absolute no-go for me, especially on a server.
So I was wondering, what's your opinion/experience on this?

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
If you don't need any of the 2016 features then I'd go with 2012 R2. I have not bothered to upgrade any of my 2012 R2 servers to 2016 yet as I have not found a compelling reason.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Hey!

Also I am a bit afraid of the upcoming feature updates. Windows 10 has already shown that the feature updates basically reinstall the OS which tacks forever, reset some settings and remove installed applications that Microsoft doesn't like.
What?

As someone who works with 2008 R2/2012 R2/2016 on a daily basis I wouldn't even have 2012 R2 as a consideration. I'd go 2008 R2 or 2016.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
You probably shouldn't couple the OS to hardware like that.

I'd run 2016 on bare metal, then run your app inside a VM running 2012R2. Then you can evaluate upgrade with a side-by-side VM.

BigDaddy

Aug 8, 2016
Server 2016 is great! :)

I have gone without installing Windows updates for a significant amount of time around a month on server 2016. I honestly don't remember 100% how I configured it this way. However, you can have it only install updates that are approved and that keeps the auto restart from being an issue.

Here is a useful how to. I did mine a much simpler way, but with you having multiple servers this may work best. Also, some good info and alternatives in the comments.

How to control Windows 10 and Server 2016 updates with WSUS

IMO the auto update is pretty easy to over come. It took me only a few minutes to do. Hope this helps

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I haven't worked with 2016 yet other than the trial version and on one or two customer systems, so I haven't really seen how the license keys work, but keep the increased cost of 2016 licensing in mind if you're running high-core-count CPUs (more than 8 cores per CPU).

A system running dual E5-2699v4's (22-core) running 2012 R2 would just require a single DataCenter or Standard license. With 2016, you end up spending nearly 3 times as much on licensing 44 cores.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Been using server 2016 for a week now on a test VM and while it's a little nicer with the interface than 2012 R2, there is still no decent reason to upgrade that I have discovered so far.

One annoying change they have made is the 'settings' window. Now half of the stuff that used to be in control panel are now in this stupid half hidden 'settings' place.
things like windows update.
I just wish they either moved everything to settings or just left it all in control panel.

Also I have not yet worked out how to set 2016 servers to update from wsus at a specific time. Seems they have this work hours setting which can only block an automatic restart for a defined period of a maximum of 12 hours. some servers must be restarted at certain times. So when will a server restart? sometime within the 12 hours of non work time at random? aaaargh
There might be a way to do it but it is not obvious to me.

Last edited:

Diavuno

If you're afraid of change stick with 2012, but if you resist change why are you working with IT?

yes they updated licencing to keep up with hardware, no big deal. ($600 for 16 core, $1000 for 24)

Ive been using 2016 since TP2. I have a few deployed in to clients, it is solid.

I would (and have) go with 2016.

Reactions: BigDaddy